91 Johnson 40hp VRO - 2 Really EASY Questions

shawnswan

Seaman
Hi, I just bought a 91 Johnson 40hp VRO and have 2 questions.

1. It's oil injected, how do I know if the oil stops pumping? (other than the motor exploding) I there an alarm?

2. I need to level the motor, I found the bolt to do this, see photo below. I unscrewed both nuts (one on each side) and started tapping it with a hammer but it's not budging, am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way to do this?

Johnson40.JPG

Thanks!
Shawn

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 91 Johnson 40hp VRO - 2 Really EASY Questions

1 - Until you're sure about the VRO using/mixing oil with the fuel.... use a premix of 50/1 in your fuel tank (1pt of good quality 50/1 oil to 6 gal of gasoline), and make a mark on the oil tank wherever the oil level is. If all is well, the oil level will eventually drop below that mark.

2 - Use a hand held propane torch on the aluminum surrounding that angle of attack rod. This will cause the aluminum to expand, helping to free the rod.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

Last edited:

shawnswan

Seaman

Awesome!, Thanks. The guy that I bought the motor off of said he was always mixing his gas anyway at 60:1 as well as having the oil injection because he didn't trust the system. Will to much oil ruin the motor (mixed gas and oil injection)?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The excess oil will simply make it smoke somewhat more is all.