Yes! im a BOAT,,,,,,And why

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
All of us here at iboats are hardcore boat owners, but it all started somewhere in our lifes.Maybe your dad or grandpa got you started with boats or perhaps you remember just waking up in the early crack of dawn to go fishn with your brothers friend,either way we all love the sport of boating and fishing.

Tell your story here! I will tell mine soon.

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Yes! im a BOAT,,,,,,And why

My first memory ever is riding in my dad's backpack while canoeing down the river. I couldn't have been more than 2 years old. We also lived on the water (FL Gulf Coast) for a few years when I was young. However, I sort of forgot about/lost interest in boats (as much as someone can while living in FL) until after college when I rediscovered my love for them and all things marine. Of course, c-list only feeds the addiction and iboats is the perfect enabler :) Boats rule!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I grew up spending summers on Lake Huron in northern Michigan, my grandparents home. There was always water toys and boating activities to be had, and it just never went away. I have always owned a boat or two as an adult, my father (who now lives at Grandmas old house on Lake Huron) always had one around for fishing or water skiing. Couldn't imagine not having a boat, love Michigan and all the water fun it offers!

eavega

Lieutenant

I never really had a boat growing up. Dad was in love with the IDEA of having a boat (still is, but with advanced Parkinsons and nobody to go out with him, it will just remain an idea for him), but circumstances and finances kept it a dream. He did have a little fiberglass Gamefisher with a 7.5 HP Gamefisher outboard that I remember going out in three times. Mom was not much for the outdoors, so dad was seriously limited as to what he could do without mom. I grew up in south Florida, so fishing was a fairly regular activity (shore fishing for the most part). We lived about a block and a half from one of the many canals/lakes in Miami. Summers were spent catching bluegill and the occasional bass out of those waters. I did have a couple of uncles that had boats. These guys were hardcore fishermen so we would occasionally get invited along to go fishing.
I just fell in love with the ocean at an early age. For a while I had ambitions to be a marine biologist. I spent a lot of time in the water once I got my drivers licence (I would go fishing, or just to the beach by myself). I was a certified divemaster, and later had a lot of friends with boats. If I had not moved away from South Florida when I got married 20 years ago, I'm sure I'd have a good CC fishing machine by now.

southkogs

Staff member

Been on 'em longer than I can remember (seriously, there are pictures of me on boats at our family cottage that I'm too young to be able to remember now). Row boats, outboards, paddle boards, kayaks and so on ... sailing and waterskiing when I got older. Just kinda' stayed constant from there. Always have had a boat or consistent access to one.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

didn't get a lot of boat time as a kid. wish i had, i might be better at it as an adult. LOL
I got into a canoe for fishing first and than things just seem to go from there. now days I have the sailboat and still think about another motorboat someday....time on the water is peaceful, enjoyable and my time to slow down and relax.

rogerwa

Commander

My dad had an old 5hp sea king outboard that once a year he would throw in the trunk and we would head to Minnetonka and rent 14' fishing boat and fish for the day. I looked forward to that day all year and sometimes it would rain and we wouldn't go and I would be heartbroken.

I loved being on the water. I loved the sound of that outboard.

Occasionally we would rent pontoon for the day and back then the toons were pretty spartan. Though it didn't matter to me.

I bought an old pontoon in 2000, and since the have upgraded, bought a place up north and am the proud owner of three boats and a family that loves to go out.

I am envious of what my kids get to do on a regular basis, yet am proud they are able to experience and grow up with these memories.

tpenfield

Staff member

I was brought up on sailboats and small outboard boats. . . , maintained them, restored them, and the like. Then, I did not do much with boats for a while, although my siblings had boats that I would go out on. Finally, I bought a 22 foot sailboat. I kept that for about 7 years, then moved on to a larger powerboat.

I did not know much about powerboats at the time, except they breakdown frequently and drain your wallet, as compared to my sailboat experience. I knew enough from my boating experience to pick something that suited my needs and local waters. I bought a 24 foot I/O with a deep-V hull. Recently I moved up to a 33 footer, which is probably the maximum size range for me.

I have always been in salt water, for which I think sailing is a good way to start out, as it requires you to manage the elements (winds, tides, weather, etc) to a great extent.

The Rooster

Ensign

My Uncle bought an old fishing camp on Lake Ponchartrain that had been devastated by Hurricane Betsy in 1965. Beginning in the Summer of 1966, when I was 4 yr. old, spent nearly every weekend at the camp during the next decade, boating, swimming, & fishing. At night, under the lights on his fishing pier, we would just plain wear out the speckled trout. This was well before they instituted the 25 fish limit. We'd crab during the day & fish all night. He had a small 15 - 16' tri-hull boat w/ a 70 hp. Johnny-Rude that we wore out. And so began the love for all things water related. Uncle Seymore, RIP, Sergent in the New Orleans Police force.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I grew up on the river . My father had a few boats that were sunk at the dock from hurricane Dora that came through a few days before I was born . So we did not spend much time on the water other than fishing from shore and the local bridges . Being the youngest of 7 kids there just was no boat restoration money at the time . Later on when I was a teen dad did have the boat that I just restored so we did get out every now and then . I also had a little 12 ft fiberglass boat with an old I think 9 hp Indian kicker that I could run around in without getting into too much trouble with . Late teens I went to work for a shrimper down the road striking on most all his boats . Ocean and river shrimping along with pulling blue crab pots and gill netting while it was still legal .. In 1980 still in hs I started surfing and I still surf today . Did some commercial snapper fishing for a while till one trip our boat just about sunk at 90 miles out . I tell ya , talk about getting right in a big hurry ! I don,t think I have ever bailed so fast in my life and hope I never have to . Have not been that far out since ! :eek: Got married had kids . I think I will always be near the water no mater what life brings !

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

This is what i love,This is how we see boaters becoming captains!

My story is full of magic and mystery as i came to the waters edge.

When i was a young boy in elementry school i lived in a perfect family i thought,but as my farther worked for wackenhut otherwise known as area 51, i was always alone,waiting for someone to show me life,then i noticed a neighbor with a boat and we became friends,I always helped him clean his house and yard and he soon invited me and my friend to the lake mead,the boat owner name was ken and his boat was called the fun machine.He was a farther of two boys, who his wife seperated and took them both away from him.He worked for the water plant here in vegas. More to come iboats boaters.this is going to get real good, maybe to the point that i shouldnt say these things but i will!

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My grandfather had a boat a 1969 Glastron closed bow, with inline six I beleive. We lived 3 hours away and on spring break and summer vacation I would spend a week with them. The boat was old, and always broke down but it was the highlight of the summer just to get out on it once. As time went on grandpa got parkinsons and his health declined, when I was old enough to drive I would try to get down there with my truck and take him out once in awhile but he was not very well off. He was probably about 275 lbs and could barely get around, it would take about 15 minutes for him to get down the dock and into the boat. Even with all the break downs (not one memory of not busting out the tools) and his health it was still fun and always enjoyed it. Still remember the sputtering sounds of the engine in the no wake zone because it didnt run correctly and the vibration on hard turns prob because the U joints were shot. He eventually died and my uncle sold the boat without asking any family members if they wanted it. So if anybody out there bought it from the Leslie's in Bowersville Ohio look me up I would like to have a chance at owning it someday. Should have a torn out cleat in the middle of the boat left side (my bad)lol.

quad59

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All these memories really make me want to find this boat, after googling pictures I think the year is wrong prob a late 70s early 80s. Any ideas how I can track this thing down?

kfa4303

Banned

This is what i love,This is how we see boaters becoming captains!

My story is full of magic and mystery as i came to the waters edge.

When i was a young boy in elementry school i lived in a perfect family i thought,but as my farther worked for wackenhut otherwise known as area 51, i was always alone,waiting for someone to show me life,then i noticed a neighbor with a boat and we became friends,I always helped him clean his house and yard and he soon invited me and my friend to the lake mead,the boat owner name was ken and his boat was called the fun machine.He was a farther of two boys, who his wife seperated and took them both away from him.He worked for the water plant here in vegas. More to come iboats boaters.this is going to get real good, maybe to the point that i shouldnt say these things but i will!

Area 51 eh? Was this your space craft, ehem, I mean "boat"?

erude UFO boat.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Dad bought a brand new wooden boat in the early 1940's and used to haul it to the water on the roof of his model A. Then Grandpa found a boathouse and they moved to a riverfront spot. After 12/7/41 Dad went on a sabattical boatride in a real BIG boat in the south Pacific, while Grandpa took care of his runabout.

Shortly after dad came home urban renewal took over the whole row of boathouses, so the boat went to the back yard again. The year I was born they got a lot on the water and Grandpa built a summer cottage. My fondest memories were riding in that boat between my Mom & Grandma, while probably still in diapers. In 1961 we lost the cottage due to a family hardship. Grandpa then sold the boat for $25.

Seven years later, while in college and with the aid of a part time job I built a plywood runabout. Just couldn't afford anything at that point, and the kit cost $135. That was the beginning...we now have 6 boats and still counting.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

All these memories really make me want to find this boat, after googling pictures I think the year is wrong prob a late 70s early 80s. Any ideas how I can track this thing down?

Its a small world quad,keep looking it out there somewhere.

Thanks for the story about yor grandps,i never went with any of mine.crap they didnt even own boats.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I grew up on the river . My father had a few boats that were sunk at the dock from hurricane Dora that came through a few days before I was born . So we did not spend much time on the water other than fishing from shore and the local bridges . Being the youngest of 7 kids there just was no boat restoration money at the time . Later on when I was a teen dad did have the boat that I just restored so we did get out every now and then . I also had a little 12 ft fiberglass boat with an old I think 9 hp Indian kicker that I could run around in without getting into too much trouble with . Late teens I went to work for a shrimper down the road striking on most all his boats . Ocean and river shrimping along with pulling blue crab pots and gill netting while it was still legal .. In 1980 still in hs I started surfing and I still surf today . Did some commercial snapper fishing for a while till one trip our boat just about sunk at 90 miles out . I tell ya , talk about getting right in a big hurry ! I don,t think I have ever bailed so fast in my life and hope I never have to . Have not been that far out since ! :eek: Got married had kids . I think I will always be near the water no mater what life brings !

Read your story,but i couldn stop looking at your dog as my shepard died a month ago.