1997 Volvo Penta SX Cobra - Gasket or Silicon ?

Kronoss

Seaman
Hello!

I just bought this 1997 Four Winns I/O, and noticed the exhaust bellow was filled with rips, and the U-Joint bellow started dry-rotting. So I decided to change them.

It seems the ujoint bellow was changed before, and the previous owner made a gasket out of white silicone type material. I had to spend most of the day scrubbing it off.

Now after looking at the Volvo Penta Transom/Bellows kit for this particular drive, it seems it does not come with a gasket, I read in some posts that it doesn't require one. I think it would be critical to need a gasket there, especially after I scraped the old one off, and its not machined to perfection.

What do you guys think?

Here is a pic before the old silicon was scraped off.
IwIPi3yl.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Volvo Penta SX Cobra - Gasket or Silicon ?

You do not need any gasket or sealer there. The u-joint bellows gets sealed when the nose of drive bearing carrier compresses against the u-joint bellows.

Not sure what you ended up buying but I suggest always buying OEM u-joint bellows. The exhaust bellows are not critical.

Just so you know, the exhaust bellows is supposed to have slits or holes in it.

Last edited:

Kronoss

Seaman

Im not 100% sure if they are going to be Sierra or Volvo, I got them ordered via a local marine store. Can something go horribly wrong if it is Sierra ? Im not expecting to keep this boat more than a year.

You do not need any gasket or sealer there. The u-joint bellows gets sealed when the nose of drive bearing carrier compresses against the u-joint bellows.
I still don't understand this part, when the drive sinks in the water, because no gasket, water will rush into the u-joint chamber, compression or not. I am having a hard time trying to trust, not to use a gasket there.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be sure to coat the studs in marine grease before re-assembly. Makes taking it off next season MUCH easier!

Kronoss

Seaman

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I believe they are talking about the bellows themselves in the post you linked. Im talking about the Outdrive, metal to metal, the part where the outdrive attaches with the 6 bolts to the transom.

Right, water gets into that area you are talking about. Its designed that way which is why that sealant isn't necessary. However, it doesn't get into the bellows because the drive seals up against the lip of the bellows.

Kronoss

Seaman

Right, water gets into that area you are talking about. Its designed that way which is why that sealant isn't necessary. However, it doesn't get into the bellows because the drive seals up against the lip of the bellows.

AAAH, I understand what everyone means now, thanks for making it clear.