290dp question

lomac9

Cadet
I have a 290 dp on a 1988 24' albemarle. I have play in the outdrive. I can pick up the outdrive like 3-4 inches and let it back down. It also has play side to side, about 2in or so each way. When underway at idle can be a pain in the ... to steer straight, constantly having to adjust wheel. Are these 2 things related? Thanks for any help.

lomac9

Cadet
Re: 290dp question

I guess my question should be.... should there be ANY play in the outdrive be it either side to side or up and down. thanks

Pesimist

Seaman

View attachment Checking - Adjusting Controls - Retaining Paw.pdfView attachment Steering Fork and Helmet.pdfI had the same concern about wandering steering on my Chaparral outfitted with the 290 DP. I had what I considered excessive side-to-side play as well. All bearings were snug except for the steering fork, dealer told me it is normal for the Volvo-Penta outdrive to seem like it's wandering - I replaced the steering fork bushings anyway. It still wanders. Suggest you lube the steering fork grease fitting and check torque on the "tiller arm" set screw or bolt.

As far as the up-down looseness in the drive, my unit has about that much however, it is attributable to the locking pawl adjustment - which is within specifications on my unit. One piece of advice on the locking pawl; If you start having problems shifting from forward to reverse (or) reverse to forward, lube the crap out of the pivot bearings near the locking pawl.

I took the outdrive off this past winter, resealed a few locations, checked bearing wear, new bellows, etc., In the 23-years I've had this boat, it still wanders at idle but, sure does operate nicely on plane.

Walt T

Lieutenant

Its normal for 290s to move about that much