Is this a good buy or a trap!!

ontarioboater69

Recruit
Hi to all, this is my first posting, as well my first boat I'm looking to buy.
Allow me to start off with I'm green when it comes to boats, but that said I have rebuild cars from the ground up.
I have an opportunity to buy a 1988 Bayliner Ciera 2455 for about $1500.00. It hasn't been in the water for about 2 or 3 years. but the motor does run. As for the outdrive, it's not on the boat right now but he has it. The fuse panel is unscrewed and some wires are disconnected. There seem to be a wet spot on the carpet between the fuse panel and the bed that runs under the stairs. The pump that runs the rams to raise and lower the sterndrive is missing, so I'll have to buy a new one. The "L" bench is weathered and cracked.
I guess my big concern is if I buy it and there is a problem with the hull (sinking) is it something that would fixable. With that said, I went all over the hull looking for cracks, dings or anything like that and I couldn't see anything wrong.
It's only $1500.00, what would be a reasonable amount to put in the boat, all in all it looked pretty good to me, but what do I know

eavega

Lieutenant
Re: Is this a good buy or a trap!!

A 25 year old boat that has not been run in the last couple of years. The outdrive is off and the trim pump is missing.

This thing sounds like a TLC Craigslist posting.

Not familiar with this particular boat, but I see that it has an OMC engine and outdrive, which to my understanding is a problem given that they are no longer made and parts are more difficult to come by.

Also, as a first boat, a cuddy/cabin cruiser would not be my first choice. I would prefer to go with something smaller that can be more easily handled.

personally, I would prefer to take my $1500, plus the $3000 or so you are going to spend on it when all is said and done, and buy something smaller, in running condition, and more easily handled as a first boat.

Just my $0.02

Rgds

Eric

magster65

Commander
Re: Is this a good buy or a trap!!

A 25 year old boat that has not been run in the last couple of years. The outdrive is off and the trim pump is missing.
This thing sounds like a TLC Craigslist posting.
Not familiar with this particular boat, but I see that it has an OMC engine and outdrive, which to my understanding is a problem given that they are no longer made and parts are more difficult to come by.
Also, as a first boat, a cuddy/cabin cruiser would not be my first choice. I would prefer to go with something smaller that can be more easily handled.
personally, I would prefer to take my $1500, plus the $3000 or so you are going to spend on it when all is said and done, and buy something smaller, in running condition, and more easily handled as a first boat.
Just my $0.02
Rgds
Eric

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Generally speaking boats are not great fixer-uppers.

Last edited: