normal head temp on vintage non t-stat motors?

nwcove

Admiral
boating is winding down in my neck of the woods, and i want to add and overheat alarm on at least one of my non t-stat motors just for a little project this fall/winter. what temp on the head would be a good point to aim for to have an audible alarm? im thinking around 180 deg?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: normal head temp on vintage non t-stat motors?

The factory overheat lights or horn were activated when the temp reached about 205 deg F

Sandor27

Seaman

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral

lol sandor.....just read your post, and looked into your choice of thermal switch!! looks like a perfect application. i would prefer to have an audible alarm activated tho as opposed to a shut down. ( in a bad situation i would run a motor until it would run no more) jmo

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

^^^^Yeah in shark infested waters I would rather listen to the buzzing over getting eaten by Great Whites if my motor was running at 186 degrees, lol :)

Sandor27

Seaman

My little 9.9 does not have electric start, nor does it have an alternator. I would have to have a battery for the alarm. I put a connector in line with the thermal switch so I can disconnect it in case of component failure or shark infested overheats.:fish2:

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Kidding of course Sandor. Im impressed, like it! I like your choice of product.

nwcove

Admiral

my thought is only an opinion.....no sharks involved!! ......i still think an alarm is better than a shut down. ( and yes....a complete/instant cooling failure will shut you down before any alarm will save the day!!)