1975 evenrude 25 hp no spark

Jgbjames

Cadet
Hi I have a 1975 evenrude 25 ho it had spark at first but I put 2 new coils new points and compactors (properly gapped to .020 ) and a new stator coil. I bought a book for this engine and It says if you do not have the tool to gap the stator coil to just use a strait edge and line it up with the mounts and it will work but unfortunately it doesn't and I'm getting no voltage reading coming out if the stator coil any tips would help thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 evenrude 25 hp no spark

Have you got all the wires hooked up correctly ?? Also check for broken wires underneath the mag plate.

Jgbjames

Cadet

Yes they are they show no resistance in the wires so I'm kinda stuck on this one I mean does the gap gotta be that close to even get a spark

Jgbjames

Cadet

Also the only wires to hook up are the primary coil the condenser and the secondary coil and I believe all three go too the one screw on the points if I am correct

Jgbjames

Cadet

I did that the paint thing is not working the coil also has partial open windings in it like it's not sealed will it arc and not spark then

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what "the paint thing" is? New coils? Try and use some punctuation and gather your thoughts in one post. Is the flywheel rubbing the coil/s?

Jgbjames

Cadet

Sorry no it's not everything on the ignition system is new and gapped except the new stator coil witch the service book said you can use a strait edge on the coil mount and that will be enough for it to get spark but it does not and I do not know where to get the tool to properly gap the stator coil or another way to gap it enough to get a voltage reading out if that coil

Jgbjames

Cadet

It has 1.0 ohm resistance in the coil as well I'm not sure if it's bad or not