24v unit only utilizing one battery?

steelebob

Cadet
I did my own installation and I'm not sure when this started, but recently noticed I was running out of power too soon on my 24v minn kota. I start the day with 2 full charged batteries. When I checked on the batteries after fishing one AM, one was still fully charged the other was around 3.0. I've triple checked the wiring at the batteries and no problem there.
Please make your comments simple, I am tech challenged.
Thanx, Bob

Re: 24v unit only utilizing one battery?

just to make it easier for us to understand. You have 2 batteries that are only used for the trolling motor. How many wires are attached to the batteries and how many go up front to the trolling motor. If you have 3 or 4 wires going from the batteries to the trolling motor plug please tell us how they are attached to the battery posts and how many pins there are at the trolling motor plug. Also include any details about switch's near the trolling motor if they are marked 12,24,dual,charge,run.

steelebob

Cadet

just to make it easier for us to understand. You have 2 batteries that are only used for the trolling motor. How many wires are attached to the batteries and how many go up front to the trolling motor. If you have 3 or 4 wires going from the batteries to the trolling motor plug please tell us how they are attached to the battery posts and how many pins there are at the trolling motor plug. Also include any details about switch's near the trolling motor if they are marked 12,24,dual,charge,run.

Don't understand how to attach file

Last edited:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Assuming that you have two 12V batteries connected in series to provide 24 volts, are the batteries similar in age and amphour capacity? An old or substantially smaller battery will run out of capacity sooner and your total voltage could drop to (for example) 12V + 3V or 15 volts that your 24 volt motor won't appreciate. - Grandad

steelebob

Cadet

Same type of batteries under 2 yrs connected in series

Last edited:

steelebob

Cadet

2 wires going from a 4 pin trolling motor plug to batteries
BUSS 60 AMP THERMAL WATERPROOF BOAT CIRCUIT BREAKER
No Switches

Attachments

• 24-Wiring.jpg
    24-Wiring.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

2 wires going from a 4 pin trolling motor plug to batteries
BUSS 60 AMP THERMAL WATERPROOF BOAT CIRCUIT BREAKER
No Switches

if that's the way its wired the only answer is you have one bad battery that needs to be removed then charged and tested. The battery is either bad or the charger is not charging that battery and if that's the case its probably killed the battery anyway. Any auto parts store can test the battery after you have charged it.

NYBo

Admiral

If the one battery is truly down to 3 volts, consider it toast.

steelebob

Cadet

If the one battery is truly down to 3 volts, consider it toast.

It is 3v after a days use (the other is still 12v). Both batteries were charged to 12+v before starting, now you are getting confused which one is bad.
How would I check to see if the charger is part of the problem, its a 3 bank onboard?

Last edited: