Merc 3.0 Engine Block Drain Plugs Location?

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone direct me to a photo or illustration where the two drain plugs are on an 1985 Merc 3.0 140? I can see the 'tee' on port side, lower back of the block, but can't seem to locate the manifold drain. Anyone? Thanks.

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Merc 3.0 Engine Block Drain Plugs Location?

Should be right above the "t" on the underside of the manifold.

fishrdan

Admiral

Reach under the manifold and feel around, should be on the back half of the manifold, on the underside. There should also be a drain on the elbow/riser, port side. Then the block drain you found. The drains could have threaded plugs in them, instead of petcocks.

As has been said many times, the drain holes can get clogged with debris and it's best to probe around in the hole with a piece of stiff wire to get the gunk out, easy to do with plugs, can't do it with petcocks. I have petcocks on my engine and run them open/closed several times to clear the junk out, sometimes need to remove the petcock to get the big pieces of junk out.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The petcocks and brass plugs on that vintage engine do not assure 100% draining of the water. You need to also pull the thermostat and upper hose and fill the block and manifold with anti-freeze.

Someone will soon post that I'm wrong. However, that's what the MCM140 3.0 liter Owner's manual specifies.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, I think I found them. BTW, my Merc manual says to just empty engine water thru plugs, raw water cooled, no need for antifreeze

Bondo

Staff member

The petcocks and brass plugs on that vintage engine do not assure 100% draining of the water. You need to also pull the thermostat and upper hose and fill the block and manifold with anti-freeze.

Someone will soon post that I'm wrong. However, that's what the MCM140 3.0 liter Owner's manual specifies.

Ayuh,.... That part is Right,... The Big hose should be pulled from the circulatin' water pump,...

That part, I ain't buyin',....

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

As has been said many times, the drain holes can get clogged with debris and it's best to probe around in the hole with a piece of stiff wire to get the gunk out, easy to do with plugs, can't do it with petcocks. I have petcocks on my engine and run them open/closed several times to clear the junk out, sometimes need to remove the petcock to get the big pieces of junk out.

Big stuff? Is this common?

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, so both my drain plugs are petcocks. Does that mean I need to remove the entire plug, or can I poke thru the petcock to loosen any debris?

And, does it matter the order in which you drain - manifold, then block?

Bondo

Staff member

Okay, so both my drain plugs are petcocks. Does that mean I need to remove the entire plug, or can I poke thru the petcock to loosen any debris?

And, does it matter the order in which you drain - manifold, then block?

Ayuh,... There's 'bout a BaZillion types of petcocks, some straight through, many not,....

I, like ole DonS, prefer to toss those things, 'n get plain ole brass pipe plugs,...

1/4" pipe thread, takes a 7/16" wrench,...

When removed, ya got the maximum sized Hole to drain from, possible,....

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Good idea! Thanks.