2006 Mercury 60HP four stroke Bigfoot intermittent WOT

Happytrai1s

Recruit
Need some advice please. I have searched for similar topics on this forum and have had no luck in hitting the right search terms or I am the only one with this specific issue. I believe the former is likely the case.

I have just purchased a 2006 60HP Mercury. It runs very slow at about 3500 RPM's and has on a couple of occasions caught and taken off to what I believe is the normal WOT and run up to 5300 RPM. When it does this it is like flipping a switch where it goes between running at 3500 RPM and 5300 immediately almost as if there is an electrical issue like a no spark condition on one cylinder that corrects itself. 90% of the time it is running improperly though. It has been unused for long periods of time prior to my purchase so I assumed it was just a fuel issue. I have drained the tank, refilled with ethanol free fuel, replace the external fuel lines, primer bulb and the fuel filter (was told by the dealer there were two filters but could only find one and replaced it along with the housing). Other things I have done not related to this problem was to replace the fuel sending unit, engine oil and lower unit oil. I still have the low RPM condition. The dealer said the plugs should not be an issue so I have not even looked at them. He indicated that these engines have had coil issues and that could be to blame.

Any advice is as to what to check next would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for reading....:confused:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 2006 Mercury 60HP four stroke Bigfoot intermittent WOT

Start with the basics. Compression test. I would definitely replace the spark plugs. Also check for a spark plug lead loose or falling off.

Chris......

bradseagraves

Recruit

Need some advice please. I have searched for similar topics on this forum and have had no luck in hitting the right search terms or I am the only one with this specific issue. I believe the former is likely the case.

I have just purchased a 2006 60HP Mercury. It runs very slow at about 3500 RPM's and has on a couple of occasions caught and taken off to what I believe is the normal WOT and run up to 5300 RPM. When it does this it is like flipping a switch where it goes between running at 3500 RPM and 5300 immediately almost as if there is an electrical issue like a no spark condition on one cylinder that corrects itself. 90% of the time it is running improperly though. It has been unused for long periods of time prior to my purchase so I assumed it was just a fuel issue. I have drained the tank, refilled with ethanol free fuel, replace the external fuel lines, primer bulb and the fuel filter (was told by the dealer there were two filters but could only find one and replaced it along with the housing). Other things I have done not related to this problem was to replace the fuel sending unit, engine oil and lower unit oil. I still have the low RPM condition. The dealer said the plugs should not be an issue so I have not even looked at them. He indicated that these engines have had coil issues and that could be to blame.

Any advice is as to what to check next would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks for reading....:confused:

Happytrai1s: any luck on this? I am having the exact same problem on 2008 40 hp Bigfoot. Took it out yesterday for an hour or so and at first it was running sluggish and then all of a sudden it was like a switch was flipped: ran great and hole shot was perfect. Took it out again today for 30 minutes and ran sluggish the whole time. New gas and lines. Thanks.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Happytrai1s: any luck on this? I am having the exact same problem on 2008 40 hp Bigfoot. Took it out yesterday for an hour or so and at first it was running sluggish and then all of a sudden it was like a switch was flipped: ran great and hole shot was perfect. Took it out again today for 30 minutes and ran sluggish the whole time. New gas and lines. Thanks.

Hi there bradseagraves, I just wanted to let you know that since the thread you pulled up out of the archives is over 5 months old and while looking back at Happytrai1s last activity date, he hasn't been online with iboats since then, so chances are he's not going to be coming back online to be able to provide you an update anytime soon. Below are a few reminders of iboats policies that we hope our forum members will try to follow along with as much as possible. Thank you & good luck with your new to you engine.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Do not write in them. Even if it's to add more value to them at a much later date as it becomes confusing.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. If you do need information relevant to an archive thread, please add a link to it in your new thread.

Thank You for your cooperation
The Moderators. :)