Did early Mercruiser distributors not have thwe screens on the bottom??

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice
I just got my two points type distributors for my twin 165's that have HEI's on now, one has the familiar screens on the bottom, one does not, other than that they are identical, did the early ones have no screens??

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Did early Mercruiser distributors not have thwe screens on the bottom??

I just got my two points type distributors for my twin 165's that have HEI's on now, one has the familiar screens on the bottom, one does not, other than that they are identical, did the early ones have no screens??

Thanks

Ayuh,... It's the metal screen that stops sparks,...

Could it have been lost over time,..??

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... It's the metal screen that stops sparks,...

Could it have been lost over time,..??

No, there are no holes in the bottom of the housing for screens, it is solid. There is no provision for a vacuum advance either, so I's not automotive. I'll post pics when I get home.

Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

No, there are no holes in the bottom of the housing for screens, it is solid. There is no provision for a vacuum advance either, so I's not automotive. I'll post pics when I get home.

Thanks

Ayuh,... Donno if it applies or not, but some of 'em had a brass elbow in the cap,...

Sparks can't travel 'round metal corners either,...

Distributor, Has to be vented, somehow, somewhere,...

Mbrgr1

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,... Donno if it applies or not, but some of 'em had a brass elbow in the cap,...

Sparks can't travel 'round metal corners either,...

Distributor, Has to be vented, somehow, somewhere,...

Hmmmmm? I'm not seeing a vent anywhere. I found another vented one online. Unfortunately, the non vented one has better bushings, anyone know where to get a bushing seal kit? Thanks, MK

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

It could just be my oldtimer's disease, but I seem to recall that the distributor cap of 60's era cars (eg my '64 Chevy SS 283) had a little metal lift window so you could adjust perhaps the dwell with the cap in place and engine running. Such a distributor wouldn't require a vented casting. - Grandad

fishrdan

Admiral

My ol' 73 Mercruiser 140HP didn't have the distributor vented, no screens, looks like the one on the right in the pic.