Please name these two fishes . . .

bassman284

Commander
Re: Please name these two fishes . . .

Well, the bottom two pictures are of a walleye, finest eating on earth. Most of the boys in Minnesota and Wisconsin don't really fish for much of anything else. The top one looks like some kind of sucker although I'm not sure. Also looks a little bit like a river perch.

Expidia

Commander

Thx Bassman, I thought it was a Walleye mostly because of his hugh eyes!
The other one from my google search appears to be a "Drum" probably part of the Perch family.

riverrat 2

Cadet

The top one is a sheephead and the next one is a walleye.

kfa4303

Banned

Funny, this is what we call "sheephead" down here in FL. Notice the funky sheep/mammal-like teeth. We call a whole other family of fish "drum" as well which get their name because the grunt or "drum" when you take them out of the water. All, very tasty and fun to catch and found in a wide variety of habitats from offshore wrecks to flats and piers.

"sheepshead"
sheephead_teeth.jpg
sheep head1.jpg

"Drums"

red drum (Aka "redfish")
RED-FISH-1.jpg

black drum
black drum.jpg

speckled trout
Biloxi-Speckled-Trout-Fishing.JPG

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since you have plenty of choices, I'll throw mine out.

Bonnie and Clyde. :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Well, the bottom two pictures are of a walleye, finest eating on earth. Most of the boys in Minnesota and Wisconsin don't really fish for much of anything else. The top one looks like some kind of sucker although I'm not sure. Also looks a little bit like a river perch.

That is unless they're fishing for muskies which both fish would be considered bait...... :) Walleye's are fine table fare however......

Thx Bassman, I thought it was a Walleye mostly because of his hugh eyes!
The other one from my google search appears to be a "Drum" probably part of the Perch family.

Walleyes also have a white tipped tail....... The one you caught would be a nice sized eater............:hungry:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I think they should be named Frick and Frack!

Top one is a freshwater drum, but called a Sheepshead up north and in Canada... no relation to the Perch family at all.. Table fare quality is debatable, some people eat them... I'll pass unless I can't catch anything else and I'm real hungry.

The second on is a mighty Wall-ice, and it is related to the Perch family... cousins.

riverrat 2

Cadet

Up here in Minnesota sometimes they are called drum but not by locals. The only people that eat them are the Hmong eat them but eat everything they catch. I put the sheepshead in the same tablefare as carp and suckers. Did you know that the grunting sound is made by them vibrating 2 stones above their nostrils . They look like pieces of bone they can get as large as a quarter but most are the size of a dime or smaller. Also if you look at the bone chips closely you will see that one will have the initial J and the other one will have a L. When I was a kid we use to catch them just for the stones that the Indians would buy from us to make jewelry. I think we got $3.00 a quart for them. Very few fisherman know about the stones. I have made a bit of money betting with people who don't believe this.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I know some commercial fishing operations sell sheepshead to be processed,....

That fish sandwich at you fast food joint might just be???????????????????????????,.................................

Expidia

Commander

Funny, this is what we call "sheephead" down here in FL. Notice the funky sheep/mammal-like teeth. We call a whole other family of fish "drum" as well which get their name because the grunt or "drum" when you take them out of the water. All, very tasty and fun to catch and found in a wide variety of habitats from offshore wrecks to flats and piers.

"sheepshead"
View attachment 212618
View attachment 212619

"Drums"

red drum (Aka "redfish")
View attachment 212615

black drum
View attachment 212616

speckled trout
View attachment 212617

Thx for those examples!

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

1st is definitely a little freshwater drum aka freshwater sheepshead. They do get quite a bit bigger. 2nd is most definitely a Walleye. We have quite a few of both around Lake Ontario. The drum is not tablefare. The Walleye is probably the best eating freshwater fish there is. I believe the length limit on the Walleye is 15".

Tom B.
(LongLine)

southkogs

Staff member

In reverse order their names are "Catch," and "Release."

It's hard to dig up good walleye in TN.

southkogs

Staff member

The world record walleye was caught on Ole' Hickory Lake in TN,.............................
... didn't say "impossible." ;)

They actually grow VERY big in some of these lakes as they can run deep in some cold water. The restocking walleye is only about 10 years old , so the fish isn't a popular one down here yet (especially against bass or trout) and still a little tricky to get. Can't find 'em on restaurant menu's at all, and I don't really have the time to go hunt them. Just can't get into catfish either ... yuck.