Stingray Boats

Fnet

Cadet
I'm thinking of buying a Stingray boat with an outboard motor. Model 194LX or 191LX. Motor is 90 HP Mercury or Yamaha. How would you rate this manufacturer and these models???

Volphin

Lieutenant
Re: Stingray Boats

Have a bud with the "Volvo" 4.3L EFI. He loves it and it does 50mph+ Hole shot stinks, but that's what he gets for over propping it. LOL
My dad has an 85 Merc OB 115. It's a screaming mimi. I'd choose the Yammi.

Last edited:

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Fnet,

I have a 2013 Stingray 198LX and love it. For a cheaper boat Stingray offers good quality and options found on a lot of higher end boats.

My opinion is the 194LX is the way to go between the two. It's a much newer design than the 191LX. It's got the "sport deck" bow that gives you more room up front, and it also has the anchor locker up front which is nice. The stern sun pad on the 194 is also much larger than the 191.

On the motors, don't get either. Both boats will be severely under powered with a 90. If fact Stingray doesn't even offer a 90 on the 194. Put the max hp on whatever you get.

I vote 194LX with a 150 Yamaha on the back.

Last edited:

jkust

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't be interested in the Stingray as my main boat given there are other brands that are substantially nicer available for more money. Stingray is in the bottom quartile of small bowriders but great if you want to go faster than you otherwise could on a budget at the expense of ride quality. I've got a dozen friends with Stingrays and about 50 more friends with every brand of small bowrider you can think of.
Stingrays have picked up the quality as of recent on their larger boats. I might consider one as a third or fourth boat.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't be interested in the Stingray as my main boat given there are other brands that are substantially nicer available for more money. Stingray is in the bottom quartile of small bowriders but great if you want to go faster than you otherwise could on a budget at the expense of ride quality. I've got a dozen friends with Stingrays and about 50 more friends with every brand of small bowrider you can think of.
Stingrays have picked up the quality as of recent on their larger boats. I might consider one as a third or fourth boat.

Ummm OK, of course you can get a nicer/better boat for more money, but you'll have a hard time finding anything better for what a Stingray costs. Especially if you want an outboard.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Stingray and its been a great boat. Mine will be 10 years old this year and I get compliments all the time. It looks new on the outside. My vinyl is stating to have some wear spots, so I do see needing vinyl work in the next couple of years. However, we use our boat, with kids in and out of it, my dog in it, wakeboards, wakeskates, kneeboards in and out of it, so some vinyl wear and tear is par for the course.

The Stingray forum in only recently starting to get some of those outboard owners registered and talking about their boats. So, it is still dominated by those of us with IOs, so I cannot say a lot about that power option.

However, plenty of people with the 18 foot 130/135 HP mercs have gotten good use out of their boats. You can prop down and pull a skier or prop up and move across the lake plenty fast.

Common complaints you hear about Stingrays are porpoising when trimmed up. Thus, a lot of people will install smart tabs and a smaller amount of us go with a hydrofoil. My boat turns on a dime with a foil.

I say go for it. Great boat, good price, independent boat manufacturer, long history of a good quality boat.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Ummm OK, of course you can get a nicer/better boat for more money, but you'll have a hard time finding anything better for what a Stingray costs. Especially if you want an outboard.

Right, that's my point. I'm fine spending the money on my main boat especially when you are in the under 20 foot class where the price difference between the best and the budget isn't that much in the big scheme especially in the off season. I'm surprised at the level of understanding from the boaters I know. Some are enthusiast level and the 'get it' and some bought what was shiny and easy without asking the good questions like the OP. Understand that here in MN...most everyone I know has a boat and it's under 20 feet if it isn't a pontoon so my sample size is huge. As long as he doesn't get suckered into buying a Sea Ray Sport under 20 feet...I think he'll do fine. He's looking for opinions and so rather than join the choir...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A Stingray is a solid Chevrolet. Now if you have to have a BMW or a Lexus or a jag or whatever, then maybe you wouldn't like the Stingray.

I bought mine after seeing one at the annual boat show. Every year when we go to the show we look at them all with the idea if we find one better than ours we'll buy a new one.

Been looking for 30 years and still haven't traded her in. This year is our 30th season without an issue at all. Porposing is a simple, cheap fix.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Right, that's my point. I'm fine spending the money on my main boat especially when you are in the under 20 foot class where the price difference between the best and the budget isn't that much in the big scheme especially in the off season. I'm surprised at the level of understanding from the boaters I know. Some are enthusiast level and the 'get it' and some bought what was shiny and easy without asking the good questions like the OP. Understand that here in MN...most everyone I know has a boat and it's under 20 feet if it isn't a pontoon so my sample size is huge. As long as he doesn't get suckered into buying a Sea Ray Sport under 20 feet...I think he'll do fine. He's looking for opinions and so rather than join the choir...

I get where you're coming from, but I priced boats from a lot of manufactures when I bought mine and found the price gap to be huge!

I like Chaparral and Cobalt for nice high quality boats. If you price a descent optioned Chaparral 196 SSi or Cobalt 200 ( I use these boats as examples because they are similar in size, performance, and features to my 198LX) you find they are almost $20k more than my Stingray not just a few bucks more. It had better be really, really nice for that kind of money, and I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a toy.

I looked at the value priced H2O and was not impressed. I found it to be no better than the Stingray, Sea Ray, and Glastron offerings. In fact it was really lite on features compared to the others and built no better. I mean 2 speakers with no option to upgrade, come on Chaparral really!?!?

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like Chaparral and Cobalt for nice high quality boats. If you price a descent optioned Chaparral 196 SSi or Cobalt 200 ( I use these boats as examples because they are similar in size, performance, and features to my 198LX) you find they are almost $20k more than my Stingray not just a few bucks more. It had better be really, really nice for that kind of money, and I just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a toy.

I looked at the value priced H2O and was not impressed. I found it to be no better than the Stingray, Sea Ray, and Glastron offerings. In fact it was really lite on features compared to the others and built no better. I mean 2 speakers with no option to upgrade, come on Chaparral really!?!?

My 1997 Stingray is still holding up great, Ride quality favors a flat lake, pulls wakeboards awesome, vinyl is in terrific condition (stitching pulling on one seat but minor at this point). No rot. I did replace the carpet 2 years ago.

I say get all the engine they offer, if 90HP is the choice I'd go up... not enough for a 19ft. Somewhere 130-150 min.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I get where you're coming from, but I priced boats from a lot of manufactures when I bought mine and found the price gap to be huge!

I completely agree with you on the cheapness of the H20 line of Chaparrals. I've railed on them before for cheapening the brand. It seems it was in response to the overall economy that they added an entry level echelon. They also top out at 220hp when even their 18 footer SSi had a 270hp option for years. They still to my surprise get high praise.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Also, if you are looking at MSRP numbers those are way, way off the mark.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

My lil brother has a 19 footer with 4.3 merc he bought in '01. It's been a great boat for him & still in excellent shape. Run 53 mph with half a dozen people on board. (Some video vs my old Glastron @ UZICANVAS on youtube.)

He replaced the gimbal bearing 'bout a yr ago. 'Sides that just routine maintenence.

When you compare hull design I think the Stingray is a cut above the other offerings. In regards to top end. Their "Z-plane" is a fast hull.

Far as fit & finish go. I'm in the canvas & cushion business & I've never noticed any "issues" with that boat. Everything lines up, nothing's fallen off?

Having said that. I have no experience or knowledge about the OB models. Ain't sure I ever seen one in person. But I'm purty sure you'll be wanting a lil more than 90 hp in a 18 footer. I'd opt for a 150 HO Etec.

jkust

Rear Admiral

My lil brother has a 19 footer with 4.3 merc he bought in '01. It's been a great boat for him & still in excellent shape. Run 53 mph with half a dozen people on board. (Some video vs my old Glastron @ UZICANVAS on youtube.)

He replaced the gimbal bearing 'bout a yr ago. 'Sides that just routine maintenence.

When you compare hull design I think the Stingray is a cut above the other offerings. In regards to top end. Their "Z-plane" is a fast hull.

Far as fit & finish go. I'm in the canvas & cushion business & I've never noticed any "issues" with that boat. Everything lines up, nothing's fallen off?

Having said that. I have no experience or knowledge about the OB models. Ain't sure I ever seen one in person. But I'm purty sure you'll be wanting a lil more than 90 hp in a 18 footer. I'd opt for a 150 HO Etec.

You can get an honest 60mph from just a carbed 4.3 with a Stingray. If you want speed on the cheap...

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Don't doubt it. Bro's boat is loaded with his wife'n kids crap. And usually an extra passenger or two.

While back a guy had one with a small block in it. Rumoured to run a lil under 70.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Also, if you are looking at MSRP numbers those are way, way off the mark.

MSRP vs MSRP was about $17k difference with the stuff I was looking at. I got mine $4k below MSRP. I'm assuming the others could be gotten cheaper also.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

You can get an honest 60mph from just a carbed 4.3 with a Stingray. If you want speed on the cheap...

I don't doubt it either. Mine will do 55 on the GPS loaded pretty good, and it's by far not the lightest 19" Stingray built.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My 1997 Stingray is still holding up great, Ride quality favors a flat lake, pulls wakeboards awesome, vinyl is in terrific condition (stitching pulling on one seat but minor at this point). No rot. I did replace the carpet 2 years ago.

I say get all the engine they offer, if 90HP is the choice I'd go up... not enough for a 19ft. Somewhere 130-150 min.

My SeaDoo was less than a year old when I needed a seat replacement due to a defect in the stitching. They DID replace it, but it took an act of congress and the dealer going to bat for me.

My son's Stingray had the same issue with stitching after 5 years, and wayyy past the warranty. The factory send the replacement seat to the dealer without question, and the dealer fedexed it to the house and payed the shipping out of their own pocket. How would the competition fare in that regard?

Stingray invited all of their customers to tour the plant and take rides on their lake in every model they produced. Two days of meals and the hotel expenses were covered 100%. All we had to do was drive there. It was that experience that sold the second boat to our family.

eavega

Lieutenant

I bought mine used. Its 25 years old, but it was well maintained. I'll agree that she likes to porpoise when trimmed up. I'm sure I could resolve that with the smart tabs. We are usually loaded with 4-6 folks, tubes, skis, etc. My 176 SVB with the 3.0 L Mercruiser will move the boat almost 50 MPH on flat water. Plenty of power for water sports. Seats look practically brand new; you can still see the "Stingray" stitched into the seat vinyl. If this is a low-quality boat, well then I'll take one every time.

rgds

Eric