Do you have the guts?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
104_7427.jpg104_7426.jpg104_7425.jpg104_7424.jpg104_7423.jpg

Posted for your enjoyment. Do you have the guts to run this ?

I now have power tilt/trim and an engine with some grunt to it. And a beautiful Johnson Oakland bronze 15 pitch prop.

If the weather holds, I may be able to test this combo. I really don't know what to expect as the Chrysler 60 is significantly heavier than the 50 I removed. Significantly more power too!

Turned out that I actually needed to lower the 60 on the transom because the midleg/lower unit is 2 inches shorter than the 50. But, the water pick-up is lower so I should have more positive water flow.

There may be no increase in performance but then again----she may go like a scalded cat. No pun intended. The hull is a tunnel, not a catamaran.

Stay tuned for further developments.

Last edited:

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Do you have the guts?

Frank, you sure that engine won't tip it backwards? :) That set-up reminds me of some of the vintage race boat footage I saw some time back. Have someone take a GoPro vid of it in action.

Mytox

Seaman Apprentice

Dood.....make sure you're tethered to the kill switch and you're wearing a PFD.

Need a co-pilot? Last time I did something similarly redonkulous was with my dad's neighbor on the Winnipeg River in Ontario circa 1990. I was was driving his 200 black max pushing an 18 foot invader. Dead calm. It was like flying. Literally.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Be safe and wear your head cam. Looks like you put some paint on your raised transom. I have to say though, your cat doesn't seem to excited. :)

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Take it easy on turns. It looks like that thing might roll on wet grass. - Grandad

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7436.jpg104_7437.jpg104_7438.jpg104_7439.jpg

Well, tested the engine today. I can now modify my motto that "Too much horsepower is never enough!" It is possible to get too much horsepower on a hull.

Unfortunately the GoPro didn't work so I have no video and quite frankly, I don't know if I want to ride this combo again. It was a white knuckle ride. I finally found a boat with more balls than me!

It was very difficult to plane. Leaning over the dashboard, I kept hitting the ignition with my knee and stopping the engine. It squatted so low that water was almost to the top of the transom. When it did plane it was very squirrely. Interestingly, as she broke over onto plane, the prop ventilated. Then as speed increased, the prop locked up. The engine itself ran magnificently.

Most of the time I kept it down to 4000 RPM. At the end, on smooth water I did open her up to 6000 for about 20 seconds and she was flying at over 50. However, the wind was making her dance around and I couldn't enjoy it.

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I give you a lot of credit for the time you put in trying different combinations for speed and performance. This combo does look a bit scary. :eek: