polar kraft jon boat

I purchased one and later had to have the MS Game and Fish come by to let me know what it was for registration. The boat had been painted over. I also purchased the boat motor which was a 9.9 Johnson Seahorse with the trailer. The boat is heavy and you know it is good aluminum being so stout. The MS Game and Fish advised me it was a 1970 Polarkraft. I noticed when I put the boat in the water for the first time, it was taking on water somewhere. The motor spewed gas when trying to hook up the gas line. Not a good first day trip for me and my son. After filling the boat with water at home did I see a missing rivet that had been painted over. I drilled out the hole a little larger and inserted a boat with a rubber washer on inside and outside the boat. It has worked fine, but still leaking. Later I found the leak under the back of the boat where there was a crack. I repaired that with green pipe dope. Now just about a glass of water, but not like it was. I paid $1500.00 for the boat motor and trailer. I purchased on Craigslist from an old man who said his health was bad and could no longer go fishing. Being a completely trusting idiot, I believed him. I have learned a great deal since then. I found a dirt dobber nest under the mount of the motor. I did a lot of reading on the internet to learn and be instructed to replacing the water pump, which I did. I called the old man to ask him when was the last time he used it and he replied a month. I believe this motor has been sitting up for awhile. It has been difficult to crank and replaced the fuel, checked the fuel filter screen and it is clean. I ran Seafoam through it cranking and resting four times in about 15 minute intervals. It sounded good and cranked in the barrell ok. I purchased a compression tester and tested both cylinders and came up with 40psi on each cylinder. I placed in the lake yesterday and it cranked ok, but only gave us half the power as before on full throttle. I have read and heard from others that a motor is junk under 60-80psi. Some seem to think that the ideal situation is when the both are about the same, less than 10 difference. I like this old motor and not quite ready to give up on it just yet. I also don't want to spend too much more money on this motor when I can put it on a newer one for me and my son to go fishing with. I am going to check the cylinders today while running and removing one boot at a time to see if both are working. This old engine could be wore out or it could need a new gasket or carb rebuild kit. Anyone with any ideas or suggestions, let me know. Also, no matter what the story is on Craigslist and how sorry you feel for someone, especially their health condition, be carefull, they will take advantage of you as well.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: polar kraft jon boat

Posted by Home Cookin to your hijack of a ten year old post.

You have a 43 year old basic boat and motor that has seen 43 years of use. That's old.

it's not worth more than the $1500 you paid for it. You didn't get much but you didn't spend much and sounds like even if the motor is shot, you didn't lose much, so it's not too bad a deal, for what it is.

Anything you do will be for repair, not restoration.

A crack at the transom can mean bigger problems but in a basic jon also an easy fix (what length?). Otherwise the hull is simple.

Trailers are easy to fix but also cheap to replace. A lot depends on how much trailering you do, including speed distance and road conditions.

There are a lot of the old 9.9's still around. They can be fixed; they can be replaced. Depends on your resources, available time, skills and inclination. I'd replace it instead of spending hours to fix it.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: polar kraft jon boat

Play with the motor if you have the time-- but don't drop a lot of money in it,,, it is not worth much and a new or newer 9.9 is not that expensive.