1992 120 Johnson No sparks.

James R

Commander
I have finished rebuilding the power head. Everything nice and smooth. Tried to turn it over and found the 20amp fuse blown. Replaced it and the motor turns over. Seems to turn over a little slow even without the plugs in but should be enough for sparks. Battery, cables and connections all god. Bypassed the solenoid and still a little slow. Pulled the starter motor. Needs the comm' cleaning and the brushes replacing. On order.
Resistance Tests of the stator show most everything in spec with exception of the Power winding, OR to OR/Black, shows 96.7 ohms. Specs say 35-45 ohms. Tested with Black/yellow and the two yellows from the stator disconnected. Still no sparks.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 120 Johnson No sparks.

Have you done any cranking tests with a multi-meter with a dva. What manual do you have ?? Check cdielectronics.com for good trouble shooting procedures.

Last edited:

James R

Commander

Thanks for the response SM. I am limited to resistance checks at the moment. I have been using the CDI info along with my Seloc to determine the values. I have used the CDI site for many years and I know from experience that there are some variances in the specs ie specs say one thing and operating units give different readings to the specs. If I could find the components for the converter I would make one. I am not in the industry anymore so electronic components, in small quantities, are not easy to come by. Was a time when I could build a complete machine control from Radio Shack parts but now they only want to sell cell phones.
Any thoughts on the OR to OR/black reading?

clanton

Rear Admiral

OEM manual specs for the power coil is 96/97 ohms.

James R

Commander

Thanks Clanton. Looks like we have a good stator and trigger. To continue elimination are there any tests I can do on the Regulator and switch box. The wiring looks ok. I anticipate receipt of brushes for the starter motor tomorrow. Could still be a slow turning over of the motor.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Motor needs to turn about 300 rpms to make a spark. Check the voltage output of the 2 brown wires. Meter on AC scale 400 volts.

Results times X 1.414 will get real close to what peak meter will read. Should be over a 100. The 2 orange wires same test 25/30 volts.

These are guess specs, my book is 50 feet away and its raining.

James R

Commander

Thanks Clanton. I will do the check once I have the starter motor back on line.

James R

Commander

Ok the starter is working magnificently. Turns the motor over real good.
Clanton, you gave me two voltage checks to make. Should these be with a digital or analog meter?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Should not make a difference, just don`t use auto range.

James R

Commander

Thanks Clanton. Will do the test tomorrow.

James R

Commander

Good morning Clanton.
Just now made the test. Brown wires showing 94 Volts. Orange showing 54 Volts. Dont have 400AC Range I have only a 200. I don't think that makes any difference.
Your thought please.
Thanks.
Jim.

James R

Commander

Forgot to mention these tests were on the disconnected wires. The resistance between brown and brown/black shows only 400 ohms. 430 to 530 is the spec. The fact that the voltage and resistance is low on this makes me suspect the charge coil. Would hate to buy a new stator if in fact it is the power pack at fault.
Any thoughts please.

Last edited:

James R

Commander

Stator and trigger OK. New CDI power pack makes nice blue sparks. Motor running well.
I have made my adapter and with penetrating probes. Will now be able to check the voltages using my standard test meters when turning the motors over.
Thanks for all the help.