Is this NEWBIE out of his league buying this boat??? Be honest...

Morgueman

Seaman
Hi Folks!

So I've been busy with the RV world (owning tent trailers, travel trailers, motorhome, etc.) with the family (wife and 2 teenage boys) for the past 15 years, and now, living in San Diego, I want to learn about boating. The wife (hopefully soon to be The Admiral), is ok with getting a boat as long as we sell the motorhome :grumpy:. Aside from trailering a Portabote around for use a few times in some Southern CA lakes and once in San Diego Bay, I'm a total newbie to the boating world. My goal is store the boat at my house, and trailer it to a variety of Southern CA lakes, Mission Bay, San Diego Bay, other coastal areas, and when I have enough experience and courage, take it out to Catalina (from Long Beach, CA). When possible, we also plan to stay overnight in it.

After looking all over the internet, and going to the Inland Boat Center (Perris, CA) HippMarine (Newport Beach, CA) and a couple of other lots, I think we're narrowing in on the Regal 2565 (dry weight of 5950#)....although we haven't seen one in-person yet.

I have a few questions for the experienced amongst you...

1. Do you think I'll have problems launching this boat in the smaller lakes of southern CA? I'm concerned about 1) depth of water at the ramp given this boat's maximum draft of 34". 2) Using a Lincoln Navigator as a tow vehicle (8600# tow capacity, 2-wheel rear drive only), will the weight of this boat put my Navigator at risk of sliding down a launch ramp (especially one coated with algae/moss, etc.)

2. Is this an adequate boat for getting to Catalina (probably from Long Beach, CA)?

3. Is a boat this size too much for a newbie's first "real" boat?

Thanks to all...In addition to the questions above, I'd love to hear any other comments you have about this plan.

Eric (Morgueman)

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is this NEWBIE out of his league buying this boat??? Be honest...

1. Do you think I'll have problems launching this boat in the smaller lakes of southern CA? I'm concerned about 1) depth of water at the ramp given this boat's maximum draft of 34". 2) Using a Lincoln Navigator as a tow vehicle (8600# tow capacity, 2-wheel rear drive only), will the weight of this boat put my Navigator at risk of sliding down a launch ramp (especially one coated with algae/moss, etc.)

You are going to be pushing your tow vehicle. By the time you add in fuel, gear and trailer you'll be over 7,000# before you know it. The boat will tow a lot easier than a camper of that weight though, you will have some aerodynamics going for you.

I'd be somewhat concerned getting back up the ramp in 2 wheel drive with that kind of weight. I had an 2 wheel drive F-150 and pulled a boat that was 5,000# dry. Most of the time I was fine. There were a few instances though where the ramp was slick and I had a heck of a time getting up it. I'd be thinking about this in your case because you plan to travel around so you won't know the ramp conditions at all times.

IMO - You are probably pushing it a little but it is doable. I did buy a 25 footer from a guy, and got a great deal because he said it was too much for him to handle.

I think boats are like your campers. Everyone seems to climb their way up. You start in a popup, decide you love it and get the travel trailer, step into the class A and then go "man, remember how easy, cheap and fun things were in that PopUp?" :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

1 - yes

2 - yes

3 - yes

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Folks!

So I've been busy with the RV world (owning tent trailers, travel trailers, motorhome, etc.) with the family (wife and 2 teenage boys) for the past 15 years, and now, living in San Diego, I want to learn about boating. The wife (hopefully soon to be The Admiral), is ok with getting a boat as long as we sell the motorhome :grumpy:. Aside from trailering a Portabote around for use a few times in some Southern CA lakes and once in San Diego Bay, I'm a total newbie to the boating world. My goal is store the boat at my house, and trailer it to a variety of Southern CA lakes, Mission Bay, San Diego Bay, other coastal areas, and when I have enough experience and courage, take it out to Catalina (from Long Beach, CA). When possible, we also plan to stay overnight in it.

After looking all over the internet, and going to the Inland Boat Center (Perris, CA) HippMarine (Newport Beach, CA) and a couple of other lots, I think we're narrowing in on the Regal 2565 (dry weight of 5950#)....although we haven't seen one in-person yet.

I have a few questions for the experienced amongst you...

2. Is this an adequate boat for getting to Catalina (probably from Long Beach, CA)?

Thanks to all...In addition to the questions above, I'd love to hear any other comments you have about this plan.

Eric (Morgueman)

congratulations on the decision! we got into boating 4 years ago with our 2150 sunbridge and love it. we, too, spend the night whenever we can.

1. i'm a bit worried about your tow vehicle b/c the dry weight of your boat is 6k. add water, fuel, trailer, and toys and you will be just about at your limit puting some wear and tear on your transmission. what i do to make sure i don't slide down the ramp (i'm paranoid) is put a chock at the front drive side wheel. the chock is attatched to a rope slung around the side mirror which can easily be pulled up when pulling forward. you might be in a 25000 series territory.

2. i wouldn't think twice about traveling to the bahamas from florida in that boat (necessary precautions of course). i think catalina should be fine. however, i'm on the east coast and have 0 experience with whatever currents/dangers you face there.

3. i think the size will be okay. ours is 22 feet and i've never felt it was too big (well maybe the first time docking!) i would accept the fact that you're going to bang up the sides a bit in the beginning (get lots of fenders).

hope this helps.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

For what it is worth though. I think I had the most fun in that 25 footer cruiser out of all the boats I've owned. We traveled with it some years, we left in one spot for a summer and it was a blast.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

You tow rig needs to be replaced with a truck. If you are going to be trailering a boat this size get something with a 10K tow rating.
And larger boats are more work than smaller ones when it comes to loading and unloading, cleaning and covering. I went to a 22.5 from a 15ft. I can launch and retrieve by myself but its nowhere as easy as with a 15ft boat.

Morgueman

Seaman

Really appreciate your thoughts. Makes sense, except the trailering

boat dry weight = 5960
fuel (72 gal x 6.2 lbs/gal) = 446 lbs
water (20 gal x 8.33 lbs/gal) = 167 lbs
Total = 6573 lbs. This leaves me with (8600-6573 = 2027 lbs).

Is 2027 lbs really not enough for a dual-axle trailer...I would think that toys would be at a minimum and I could keep them in the back of the Navigator during towing.

Love your idea about the chock behind the driver-side front wheel...Won't help me get up, but will help me front going down!

What is the "25000 series territory" you mention? Lost me there...

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

You can increase the actual (not rated) tow capacity by fitting smaller diameter tires to the Navigator if it strains too much towing that load. It accomplishes exactly the same thing as changing the gear ratio, but with the added advantage of making the brakes more effective and the center of gravity lower.

I would recommend a used boat for a first boat. You are going to scratch it, more than once...

Catalina by small boat is pretty common. I would not sweat it; just gotta pick a good weather day for it and be fully prepared for the worst. A sea anchor would be a wise addition.

34" of draft is 5 inches less than mine and I have never had any insurmountable issues at ramps here in the east.

Morgueman

Seaman

You can increase the actual (not rated) tow capacity by fitting smaller diameter tires to the Navigator if it strains too much towing that load. It accomplishes exactly the same thing as changing the gear ratio, but with the added advantage of making the brakes more effective and the center of gravity lower.

I would recommend a used boat for a first boat. You are going to scratch it, more than once...

Catalina by small boat is pretty common. I would not sweat it; just gotta pick a good weather day for it and be fully prepared for the worst. A sea anchor would be a wise addition.

34" of draft is 5 inches less than mine and I have never had any insurmountable issues at ramps here in the east.

Interesting thought, but I'd be concerned thinking that I'm increasing tow capacity with smaller tires, because the engine & transmission cooling systems aren't improved with smaller tires.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

boat dry weight = 5960

Is 2027 lbs really not enough for a dual-axle trailer...I would think that toys would be at a minimum and I could keep them in the back of the Navigator during towing.

Love your idea about the chock behind the driver-side front wheel...Won't help me get up, but will help me front going down!

I personally think you could probably tow it ok, it just won't be great, you will REALLY feel it back there. Most folks here seem to be of the opinion that you should be coming in under the rated tow capacity for safety and just easy of use. I fall into that category.

Your question about getting up the ramp is a real concern though IMO. The navigator probably already has a little extra weight over the rear wheels to help you out some but with only 2 wheel drive and what can be fairly common conditions (slick and or steep) and you'll find yourself in trouble. Nothing like that awesome feeling of giving the truck gas and going backwards deeper into the water.

Morgueman

Seaman

You tow rig needs to be replaced with a truck. If you are going to be trailering a boat this size get something with a 10K tow rating.
And larger boats are more work than smaller ones when it comes to loading and unloading, cleaning and covering. I went to a 22.5 from a 15ft. I can launch and retrieve by myself but its nowhere as easy as with a 15ft boat.

I do believe a 10K truck would be better, but I'm wondering if it's necessary as long as I can stay under the maximum tow capacity of my Navigator. Will I run into problems at the launch ramp?

I see your point about more work vs. less work for larger/smaller boats. Guess I have to weigh those considerations with the pleasantries of larger cabin space, overnight availability, etc. Don't get me wrong...I do appreciate your thoughts.

The boats we are considering are all used...

agallant80

Commander

It won't tow great but it will pull it. I have a boat about the same as yours. I ended up getting a Diesel truck which is overkill but I never have issues. Im thinking about going back to gas because the diesel costs allot to commute in. Any ways just go slow. Any boat you will run aground, scratch, dent and do stupid things to. Just remember that you are learning and make sure to learn your lesson when you goof.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't forget to add the trailer weight in there too. A trailer that size certaintly isn't light. My trailer (21' bowrider) is 700lbs.

Morgueman

Seaman

I personally think you could probably tow it ok, it just won't be great, you will REALLY feel it back there. Most folks here seem to be of the opinion that you should be coming in under the rated tow capacity for safety and just easy of use. I fall into that category.

Your question about getting up the ramp is a real concern though IMO. The navigator probably already has a little extra weight over the rear wheels to help you out some but with only 2 wheel drive and what can be fairly common conditions (slick and or steep) and you'll find yourself in trouble. Nothing like that awesome feeling of giving the truck gas and going backwards deeper into the water.

It's probably my biggest fear right now...:scared:

jestor68

Commander

I believe they're referring to a "2500" series(3/4 ton) pick up; not 25000.

You weights don't include the trailer. My 23 ft boat's trailer weighs 1200 lbs; and it's not considered a "heavy" trailer. A proper trailer for your intended boat could weigh as much as 2000 lbs; there goes your fug factor.

It appears then that you'd be towing at near the vehicles's capacity.

I hope it's equipped with the "tow package", which should include(as a minimum) a trans cooler and different (lower) gear ratio.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Welcome aboard!
I think that your list of features for your first boat, as such lists usually do, has built-in conflicts. On one hand you want something large enough to overnight in for four adults and to make an open sea crossing, but you also want to trailer it around and keep it at the house, and launch/retrieve for every boat ride.

I say scratch the ocean crossing and overnight feature, and start off boating smaller. You can always drive it--by land or water--to a place with overnight rooms.

You're a camper. As they used to say on the essay question, "compare and contrast" these forms of camping, the places you can do it, and the equipment you need including vehicles, and storage of the equipment when not in use, and the monthly cost just to own it all:
backpacking
car camping
wall tent camping in wilderness
campground camping w/ facilities
camper shell camping
pop-up camping
trailer camper camping
RV camping
big honking half million dollar bus camping

They are all "camping" just like your list is all "boating." You raised the point about the lakes: you can go places backpacking, or even car camping, you can't with the larger set-ups, but sleeping or dealing with bad weather is a different thang.

And just like talking to other campers, beware the advice that "I do it all the time; there's nothing to it" unless you really know the person.

If you still aren't sure, put you, the wife, and two teenage boys who haven't bathed for a day, with their favorite sneakers, in that cabin, seal the hatches, and play monopoly for 4 hours. Then get back to us.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I tow a 26' with a total weight of around 7500# with a 5.4L Expedition, towing capacity of 8950#. It tows just fine, and my towing distances are much longer than yours. You'll really feel it back there, and the engine will get 'tired' much faster. It sounds like you'll be towing locally, within a couple of hours. You should be fine. I've never had the boat pull me down the ramp. In Long beach, just be sure to launch at high tide. Get used to her in a local lake first, then that boat will be a blast at Catalina. Be sure and get yourself an onboard GPS or a good phone app (like Navionics) for the fog. Keep your maintenance up on the trailer, especially the brakes. The salt water destroys them.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

You will be at the top of your capacity ~~~ not a big deal. You will feel it back there ~~~ not a big deal. I'd prefer electric over surge brakes on the trailer in that situation though. You will need to go slow, forget overdrive, use the 'trailer/tow' button on your trans. Gas mileage will suck. Take your time. Remember the emergency brake while stopped on the ramp. Keep your foot on the brake as you pull the boat up the ramp.... Take your time and you should be OK.

possum2082

Petty Officer 3rd Class

boat dry weight = 5960

i'm getting off topic...but you know about rotten transoms and stringers and what to look out for? right? i ask, b/c i didn't and got lucky as their is very little water intrusion in our transom.

i'd guess that a tandem trailer is around 1-1.5k which puts you pretty darn close. i meant 2500/250 as in 3/4 ton truck.

i got the chock idea from someone on here. no one else does it at our lake...but i just feel better.

Last edited: