Anaerobic sealant

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I waiting for some parts to show up here and I got everything cleaned and ready to assemble when they do for My 84 evinrude 35hp, I was told to use the anaerobic sealant when I put the crankcase together and the HG as well, I went to Advance auto, Autozone and TSC but no one has it is there something else I can use or if not, where do I get this stuff?
Found one place on line that wants $49 for 1.6oz of the stuff, is it really that expensive?

Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anaerobic sealant

I've always used Loctite Gel-Seal II on the crank case halves. NAPA should have it.

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found it at another advance auto but they don't have the "surface prep reactor" spray and by what I read from the permatex website I do need it, correct?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The prep is if you want it to set real fast. Clean the surfaces real good, put it together and let it sit 24 hrs.

EZSteury

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The prep is if you want it to set real fast. Clean the surfaces real good, put it together and let it sit 24 hrs.

Thank You for this information,it is a relief to know I don't really need the other prep stuff. I really don't need it to set fast I want to put it back together and then I will be on vacation for a couple of weeks so I hope that is enough time for it to set.

Davee3

Seaman Apprentice

So is it best to put 1/2 on each piece or all on one - I thought maybe the prep called for on one surface helped the spread as you bolt up?

racerone

Supreme Mariner

A 1/16" bead of sealer is ample.----------You want most of the sealer to squeeze out so that you get a metal to metal fit.----The metal to metal fit is important for proper bearing " clamp up " when torqued.