New to outboards and need help 1968 Merc 200 Twin

Kjpeter

Cadet
I picked up a 1968 Merc200 last night and noticed a hole that I would imagine needs to be plugged somehow.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this hole is on the top rear of the housing and what do I need to seal it?

Thank You

IMG_20130919_080957.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: New to outboards and need help 1968 Merc 200 Twin

That hole is an access for the zinc tab retainer bolt on the under side of the AV plate. If you look down into the hole you should see an Allen-head bolt. You need to remove the tab to access the rear lower unit bolt that holds it to the exhaust housing. And, no, there isn't a plug for it on the 20hp...

Kjpeter

Cadet

Seems odd to me that it would be remain open but I will take your word on it. If water goes into that chamber, does it stay there? or is it a cavity for the water pump?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

+1 on the hole... Access for the screw holding the anode on. And no plug for it. The cavity does fill with water, but it comes out though drains designed for that purpose.... And yes, the water pump is in that area, but it does not get the water from that cavity, it's picked up through the intakes on the side of the gear housing....

Chris........