70HP no change when plug wire removed, has spark???

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Trying to fix a 1989 E70elcem hooked each plug to a spark plug tester (the kind that looks like a spark plug) all three cylinders jump the gap, but when I start it, I pulled each wire the bottom cylinder changes the engine sound a little, the middle changes the sound allot (motor almost dies) but when I pull the top wire the the motor sound does not change at all? hooked back up the spark checker all three cylinders have spark and jump the gap. The problem with the engine is it runs ruff at idle and sounds like its firing on 2 cylinders, on the water under load it seems to have a intermittent miss at higher speeds and sounds like a cylinder drops out at lower rpms. I checked the compression all three are approx 110 psi. this is a VRO model that has had the vro removed, I don't have any history with the outboard as it was a freebie. It also does not turn over well with the plugs installed but I can put a bit of mix in the cylinders and it seems to turn over fast for a few cranks and start, after I kill the engine it goes back to very slow cranking unless I add mix to the cylinders. This might just be a bad starter and I think I have a good one and will switch starters and see if that problem goes away. any thoughts & help much appreciated.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 70HP no change when plug wire removed, has spark???

1) change your carbs around, see if it follows a carb.
2) check the top cylinder is firing at correct time

Last edited:

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Have you changed sparkplugs to see if you have a bad one?

Will Bark

Lieutenant

Did you get corrected and what did you find?