Lonestar??

OhioLowell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all. I haven't posted here much but do lurk around quite alot. I saw a boat today that has piqued my interest. It's aluminum about 16-18' long , late 50's early 60's? The boat has a huge deep v hull. THe owner said that it is a Lonestar, I think he said it is either a fish/ski master? The boat is kind of the 50's reto look, which I'm not into much but it has personality. The boat has an old Scott motor, I'm not sure of the horse power though. The owner of the boat said that the boat only has 2 seats. At first glance the interior of the boat is completely gone, and most of the paint has fallen off. I think it would make a good project boat. I would think it would be a hard one to tear up. As always any input would be greatly appreciated and deeply reflected on. Oh yeah, I think I could buy this boat for a little bit of nothing.<br /><br /><br />Thanks,<br />Lowell

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Lonestar??

Love to see a picture Ohio. I'm rebuilding a lonestar right now, and I think it's a pretty neat boat. I can't tell you what will be in yours, but mine has all aluminum stringers, a ton of room to walk around in, and for a 58, it's in really good shape. I think you'd enjoy working on it, if it's what you were looking for. Show us a picture? We like pictures.

OhioLowell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Swim,<br /><br />I looked at your pics in your shareproject account. Lokks very similar to the boat that I'm talking about. The only real difference that I can see is I beleive that the gunnel on this boat steps up at the deck line and the deck appears to be bigger. From the look of your pics your boat is completely flat bottomed at the stern? This boat is not flat bottomed at the stern it still has a very slight "V" at the rear. The hull looks very similar it just seems to have very tall sides doesn't it?<br /><br />As for the pictures,I'm still getting up the nerve to ask the fella who owns it if he'd think of selling it. Oh yeah and there's convincing my wife about it too. I'll probably wait until spring to ask him about it, maybe maybe not. As of right now I've got a project boat for the winter. I'll be working on "Milkmoney" over the winter. I'll keep a close eye on your progress and keep yall posted on mine.<br /><br />Lowell

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

I, for one, would love to see your progress. As for deciding if it's for you and trying to talk the wife into it, I'd put it this way. It's aluminum. In the long run, there's less maintenance. It'll be a much faster restoration than a glass boat, too. As for money, don't go in blind. It's going to cost you money. I like to tell my friends who ask if I've seen any "free" boats that a free boat costs more than a thousand dollar boat. Do a lot of looking around on here, and expect to spend some money. I won't finish mine for any less than about 2,000 dollars with engine work, hardtop, lights, paint, etc...there's a lot to figure for, so don't get surprised later. <br />You're right about the boats having high sides. Standing on the deck, my gunwales come to about mid-thigh. I love the high sides on my boat. My boat is a semi-V, but you're right about it looking almost flat at the stern. It's not, but it is awfully close. Personally, that means less draft for me, and shallower waters. On the other hand, it's V'd at the bow, so it should cut water fairly well. I wouldn't call these "fast" boats, but I'd call it the best utility boat that I'll have ever owned. Let us know how it goes.

OhioLowell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"fast"? You think they're not fast due to lack of planing area? They should still scoot right along. THey should ride a rough sea pretty well tho, huh? These boats would be a great family fishing/fun boat. As for the money part of it, I'm deffinately on board there. My father says " A BOAT IS A HOLE INTO WATER IN WHICH ONE THROWS MONEY". I know it can be very expensive, but I'm pretty handy and you all seem very helpful should I need it. If I were to buy it I suppose the biggest question mark would have to be the motor, because I would gut the interior and make it my own anyway. <br /><br /><br />Lowell