ted williams 7.5 outboard plug gap

oldskow

Recruit
good morning, i'm trying to get a ted williams 7.5 outboard that has a twist grip clutch drive to run and can't get any info on it. i don't know the yr. the model #217/58588-0. i need the plug gap and any other info that anyone has. it's pretty old (72-76) i think? i'd like to get some fish this fall? is there anything else i should do to make it run? i'm not joe outboard but it appears to be in good condition.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Re: ted williams 7.5 outboard plug gap

First thing you want to know is does it have spark? Don't turn it over without the plug or plug wire grounded, it has a solid state ignition that can barbecue. If you have spark, you'll likely need to replace the fuel pump element, needle and seat. That motor also has a water pump in the leg that'll need a new impeller. The plug gap is .035". Take a peek here;

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...47/1305320?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=217585880

OEM parts from here;

Results for Eska - Sears / Ted Wms

Or call these people with part numbers from the Sears site;

VinParts

The clutch often fails locked into gear, and they are tough to come by.

oldskow

Recruit

thanks for the info. i'll have to see on the clutch but when i have it in neutral it seems like it's still in gear? not good.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

The clutch is set screwed to the crank, and some guys have used electrolysis to de-rust, some soak in penetrating oil for long periods, some just leave it and run the motors as a 'yank'n'go'.