Thurust bearing question

stuee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi.
I have a 67 1000 merc 6cyl.

I i put the motor on the boat and on the first run it seemed to rev out with full throttle and the prop not giving it all and at slow speed push along.
I did research and it says spun hub, i had the hub replaced and it all fixed up like new, it put on the motor earlier and tried again.... grrrr same problem.

I did read somewhere it might be a thrust bearing problem. could this be true, i tried to remove the thrust bearing but its well on the shaft and not moving anywhere.
My question is should this thrust bearing be loose so it can push against the rubber on the prop to cause compression of the rubber or is this just rubbish and another problem?

thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Thurust bearing question

The thrust washer should be loose on the shaft. That said, it is a taper and they do get stuck. Just put a screwdriver behind it and flick it off. There are a few different washers depending on the prop. It has nothing to do with compressing the rubber, it just stops the prop in the right place to avoid it hitting the gear-case.

Another possibility for your problem is the splines in the bottom of the crankshaft or on top of the drive-shaft may be corroded out... You'll need to drop the gear-case off the bottom of the engine to check...

Chris......

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thurust bearing question

On your 1000 you should have a step shaft not tapered where washer goes.(like early Mercruiser) If your running a flat washer style prop on this washer it will hold prop edges beyond gearcase and cause exhaust to blow around prop and slip. This style washer require a prop with a recessed hod.