Newbies first project...transom stringers and floor!

Peteypablo25

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I bought a motor for my old 1985 19' Bayliner Cuddy. I've had the boat for a year and never had it in the water due to the blown force 125 that I sold. Recently purchased a running 1992 johnson 115 for the boat.
Before taking her on her maiden voyage I decided to address the soft part of the floor. Quick fix (rip up soft spot, lay down plywood, glass in and go boating before season ends). Yea right!

Rotted floor, GAS SOAKED FOAM!, leaking gas tank, and rotted transom and stringers! Time for a new boat? Looked at another cuddy for sale...nice boat but rotted transom. So I dug into my bayliner today. Removed half the rear floor, half of the transom (from inside). I TOOK PICTURES! I know everyone likes those. I also have some questions which ill post next.
How do I post the pictures!

zool

Captain
Re: Newbies first project...transom stringers and floor!

Open a free photobucket account, upload pics to an album, double click the pic you want to post, and on the right, there is an img code, click on it til it says copied, then past it in the text area here...

take lots of pics and measurements for the task you have ahead of you...

pckeen

Commander

I'm getting tired just looking at those photos! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

When you get done she'll be better than new and a lot better than anything you can buy for the price of your resto.

The vast majority of f'glass boats made before the year 2000 are highly suspect for rot... maybe even 2005.

When you get done you'll know your boat inside out too, and that's another big plus.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think I've ever seen so much 5200 slathered on a transom like that. Probably all that was holding it together...

Good luck with the resto!

Peteypablo25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea there was a ton of that stuff! Man ill tell ya everytime I get home from work and look at her I get the sudden urge to hop on Craigslist and get one of those fall deals floating around! But once I dig in again I cant stop working. Either way I have a couple of questions.

How far back do I need to cut the stringers to replace the transom? They are going to be replaced also but I didnt want to lose the structure of the hull so im doing it in pieces. (Transom, then 1 stringer at a time.)

Is the floor of the bilge the actual hull? Im trying ti finish cutting out the transom and dont know if I can cut through the bilge floor or if that is the actual hull.

Peteypablo25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another question (and im almost afraid to ask but keep an open mind) I need an alternative wood besides marine to use if possible. No matter what I do to her she's still an 85 bayliner cuddy so I dont want to ( mainly cant afford to) spend that much money here. I know its a big project and ill spend where I have to but shes not gonna look new even when im done unless I go all out (which isnt in the budget or schedule right now. So im looking for SAFE & STRUCTURAL but dont need the best materials.

Any suggestions on material? And any prep that needs to be done to it to help it last in there? Any help is greatly appreciated! Im trying to make it to the lumberyard today before they close for the weekend.

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm getting tired just looking at those photos! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I cringe too when I see them.

I feel for you Petey. I was on the verge of tears when I came to the realization that what I thought was just a heavy solid boat was in fact a water logged barge with rot and wet everything.

Hang in there and as everyone has said, it'll be worth it in the end.

Let's see a big picture of your craft. It looks like it is a good sized boat.

Peteypablo25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

19 footer to be exact. Gotta go to my sons football game for now. Ill check back later and update tonight as well!

pckeen

Commander

For safe and structural, use an exterior grade (but not pressure treated) plywood. That is your least expensive option - should be plenty structurally strong. You just want to make sure it is sealed properly. A mid-ground option between marine plywood and regular exterior grade plywood would be Arauco plywood.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I cut my stringers back about 12" from the transom and that gave me plenty of room to get the new transom in.

Many of us have used Aurauco brand plywood instead of marine plywood. It's very good, with more plies than normal plywood and fewer voids in the layers. It is also much cheaper than marine. You can usually find it at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Good luck,
Jim

Peteypablo25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds good...and good to hear its available at home depot/lowes since theyre open this weekend. Thank you both for the info! I measured the rotted wood before ripping it and it looked like 3/4". The center of the transom where the motor sits measured 2" from outside edge of shell (skin) to the inside edge of the inner skin. But the PO had alot of compound on there so im not sure of the factory layout. I was thinking 3/4" all the way across in 1 solid piece and then doubling up in the center section where the motor hangs. Is this the way to go? Or should I go 3/4" doubled up all the way across?

Also am I just glassing this transom to the back skin or is there a compound that I should spread first to fill any voids? If so do I wait for this to cure before glassing the transom in or do I clamp it down when the compound is first applied? Again id like to keep my cost down but dont wanna waste my labor so im looking for a happy medium here. Thanks again I really appreciate the help/info.

Peteypablo25

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No arauco at my local home depot or lowes. They said they have "dry ply" a new water resistant plywood. Its only $33 a sheet so im skeptical but has anyone ever heard of it or know if its usable?