Transom Installation

laurincole

Seaman Apprentice
I have finally removed my old rotten transom and need some advice on installing my new one. I need to know what type of adhesive and how to clamp it into place. I thought of several through bolts to pull it tight, but that is more holes in the transom. Any advice or ideas would be great. My daughter thought I should stand there and hold it all night.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Transom Installation

Are you going to Prelaminate the transom,+ Install it as a unit,....<br />Or,....<br />Are you going to laminate the pieces together In Place,...???...................<br /><br />Either Way,...... Epoxy,+ Fiber is about the Best.........

laurincole

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply, I'm debating about the process. Should i install as a unit or laminate in place. I think it is easier to install as a unit and use clamps or through bolts to chinch it up to the hull. (Maybe leave the bolts there?)

Bondo

Staff member

Have you done a Search here,..???.......<br /><br />There are Several guys that have Done this,.......<br /><br />Complete with Photos........ :D

epresutti

Chief Petty Officer

Icole,<br /><br />Like Bondo said, do a search on transom replacement there is a lot of info here. I built mine first and installed in "peanut butter" epoxy in the void. I used epoxy and glass between each layer. Used 1 1/2" and 4 1/4" pieces of ply with matt in between each layer and then encapsulated in double bias stitched matt (which is diagnal woven with matt stitched to it).<br /><br />I had a flat transom, I hear tell that if you have a curved transom building it first can be a hastle.<br /><br />Peace.<br /><br />Ed.