Snapped the tip of my graphite rod . . . ? What typemof glue?

Expidia

Commander
I drilled out the tip core. Do I just use some type of expoxy? I never have luck glueing most plastics so I'm worried about getting the tip to bond to the graphite?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Snapped the tip of my graphite rod . . . ? What typemof glue?

For light-tackle, I use a Flexcoat tip top adhesive. In a pinch, your typical hobbyist glue stick might work. It's all about the melting temp of the glue. For heavier rods, I use 5 minute epoxy.
thermal-plastic-tip-top-adhesive
thermal-plastic-tip-top-adhesive.jpg

BF

Lieutenant

hot glue works fine. I keep a stick in my tackle box (and spare tips). You can put a lighter to the end of the glue stick, and then scrape the molten glue into the metal tip. Re-heat the metal tip (that now has glue in it) with the lighter and stick on. If you're re-using the same tip, you might need to carefully taper the end of the rod with sandpaper. One glue stick will last for years.

The plus side of using hot glue is that if the insert of the rod tip falls out or you otherwise want to replace it, you can heat it with a lighter and just pull it off.

Good luck

Expidia

Commander

Thx for those replies!

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not super glue? Is it so you can take it off if needed later?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Why not super glue? Is it so you can take it off if needed later?
There are a couple of reason why super glue isn't a good adhesive for the job at hand.
1. Super glue is designed to bond close tolerance (tight fitting) connections. It does not fill gaps very well.
2. Super glue is brittle. Fishing rods flex and thus the adhesives need to flex with them. Otherwise, the adhesive cracks and fails.
3. I'll charge you double when you bring it to my shop for repair :)

Last edited:

Expidia

Commander

Thx again to all. I'll pick up some flex top. Amazon ha it for 2.99 with 4.59 shipping haha.
Ill prob find it a dicks and pick up several to keep in my tackle box.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Ill prob find it a dicks and pick up several to keep in my tackle box.
One would last you a lifetime, plus some. lol

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just repaired a rod recently. The top 3-4" got sliced off when I shut my truck window on it. I used 30min epoxy. I put a bit of paper clip inside as a dowel, coated with some epoxy, then wrapped it with fly tying thread, more epoxy, more wraps. Then when I was done I put a little thicker coat of epoxy on the outside and spun the rod to keep it from blobbing up as it set. It still came out ugly but it has held.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info! I knew there was a reason I never used it for that. :)
Lucky for me I do all my own fixen.:tongue::wink-new:

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info! I knew there was a reason I never used it for that. :)
Lucky for me I do all my own fixen.:tongue::wink-new:

Use slow curing epoxy resin glue.The quick stuff is good but the slow stuff is better.I used to build rods and would never use anything else.If you put a whipping on it,after it's done rub some of the glue into the binding with a wet finger and finish it of nice and smooth.

Expidia

Commander

Use slow curing epoxy resin glue.The quick stuff is good but the slow stuff is better.I used to build rods and would never use anything else.If you put a whipping on it,after it's done rub some of the glue into the binding with a wet finger and finish it of nice and smooth.

Thx I've smoothed the glue over the whipping years ago when I've repaired my rods after I used to close the trunk on the tips :eek:
Figures the 3 tips that came in the pack even the middle one is too lose. I'll have to swing by a small tackle shop and have them dig one out for me.

fishrdan

Admiral

Buy the tip tip adhesive dingbat posted up, if you're going to use hot-melt. (I'm guessing it has to be good stuff coming from Flex Coat...) I bought a stick of pure white hot-melt tip adhesive from WalMart or a sporting goods store,,, and it's carp, tips seem to be secure, but they loosen up after some use. I keep it for emergencies, but use epoxy if at home.

Figures the 3 tips that came in the pack even the middle one is too lose.

I ordered a selection of tips in different sizes from Mudhole tackle as I ran into the same problem. And, the tips that come with the repair kits are pretty poor quality. (At least the tips that came with my stick of carpy hot-melt glue that doesn't work,,, were cheap tips :facepalm: :D)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Keep it for emergencies, but use epoxy if at home.
Be very careful using epoxy. The melting temp of the binder used in the manufacture of the blank is very close to that of epoxy. Makes for a very fine line between removing the top and melting the top of the blank.
I've replaced 100's, still sweat pulling tips epoxied into place.

Last edited: