4.3 L overheating problem

Hello all: I have a 1995 wellcraft with a 4.3 L vortec V-6 engine with the GX outdrive I'm having a overheating problem, seems like its not picking up prime on the outdrive, when I put the muffs on it seem to work but I had it fail to pickup while on the water, even had it not pump with a loose fitting muffs I had, just seems like it losses prime at times. the impeller was checked and found good a few weeks back, I was wondering if it may be the booster pump on the side of my engine has failed ? I do have a inclosed water system for the engine. I checked the thermostat and found it good. Don

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 4.3 L overheating problem

Sounds to me that you may have an air leak into the system if it won't pull a prime. I presume you really mean an SX drive as I have never heard of a GX. Clamp the muffs on tight so they don't leak, pressurise the system, don't start the engine, look around the engine bay for leaks.
Has the raw water pump ever been replaced, frequently the seal leaks and it pulls air, replacing it (the seal) is both cheap and easy. The whole pump is expensive but can be rebuilt, plenty of posts on here about it, just use the search at the top of the page.

Last edited:
Re: 4.3 L overheating problem

Sounds to me that you may have an air leak into the system if it won't pull a prime. I presume you really mean an SX drive as I have never heard of a GX. Clamp the muffs on tight so they don't leak, pressurise the system, don't start the engine, look around the engine bay for leaks.
Has the raw water pump ever been replaced, frequently the seal leaks and it pulls air, replacing it (the seal) is both cheap and easy. The whole pump is expensive but can be rebuilt, plenty of posts on here about it, just use the search at the top of the page.

Yes my mistake, I have the Sx drive, I have noticed a bit of water in the bilge, maybe that's where its coming from, its not been replaced so bet that is the problem. its works sometimes and not others so its a prime problem or leaky seal causing it to such air instead of water. , maybe I'll order a new one and rebuild the old one and keep it in the boat for a spare I fish offshore and when this happened I was 69 miles off the California Coast. thanks for your help. Don