Electric Start for 1978 35 hp Johnson

Fish Pirate

Recruit
My key start for my motor will not start the motor. I hotwired across the starter to start the motor. It had not been run in five years. It purred like a kitten. It shut off using the key. But when the battery is connected properly I only get the clicking noise at the starter. Where do I need to start to find my problem? Thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Electric Start for 1978 35 hp Johnson

Welcome to the forum.
Start by checking the voltage to the solenoid. Check for battery voltage to one of the large posts on the side, then when you turn the key to start you should get voltage on the other post going to the starter. If you have no voltage going to the starter when the key is turned to start, you most likely have a defective solenoid.

Fish Pirate

Recruit

So my clicking noise when I turned the key was intermittent at best. I changed out the solenoid. Key will still not start the motor......BUT, with the key in the on position I can pull start the motor and the key will turn off the motor. Where should I look.

Fish Pirate

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Being able to pull start the engine with the key on is a normal operation.
Did you check the voltages as outlined in post #2?
Have you polished the electrical connections, positive and negative at all connections, battery and block and made sure they were tight?

Fish Pirate

Recruit

Being able to pull start the engine with the key on is a normal operation.
Did you check the voltages as outlined in post #2?
Have you polished the electrical connections, positive and negative at all connections, battery and block and made sure they were tight?

I have 12 V to the solenoid and when I turn the key no voltage across it.......

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you have battery voltage to the large post on the solenoid.
If you have battery voltage to one of the small posts of the solenoid when you turn the key to start, and the solenoid clicks.
If you do not have battery voltage on the other large post of the solenoid going to the starter when the solenoid clicks, you need a new solenoid.