1976 Johnson 115 tilt problem

jackson2

Recruit
I have a 1976 115 engine that is running great, but the trim has issues. It appears to be a Calco pump (I have not seen a name or model number), as there are no fins on the reservoir. Here are my observations:

-I've checked the switch, and the leads had corrosion, so I've shorted out the wires directly with a jumper wire (red to green, red to blue)
-The unit will make noise and lower, but it not raise. (red shorted to green)
-The unit makes no noise and does not raise (red shorted to blue); the jump wire does not spark nor heat up like when I short the other pair
-The starboard piston does leak a little, but no dripping...just a film on the piston (port side piston is dry on the exterior)
-I have replaced the solenoid with no change
-When I took off the top to look at the motor, I noticed that one brush is about half the size of the other.
-I have attempted to drain/fill the system, as the fluid was a milky mess; no change
-The last time the unit was fully operational, the main trim switch stopped working, but the front trim switch worked; then the front quit working as well

Anyone have any ideas? I know I need to replace the o-rings/seals on the leaky piston, but I would think that it should still be making noise & be able to raise, just not hold (if the leak was bad enough).

trim motor.jpg

Thanks,

Jackson

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 Johnson 115 tilt problem

Smetimes the armature will get coated with carbon from the brushes. You might try cleaning the armature with emery cloth until it is shiney and see if it helps.

jackson2

Recruit
Hello,

I've just now been able to get back to work on the system. I removed the starboard side and installed new gaskets. I went to do the same on the port side, and ran into a couple of issues. In addition to be much drier and having more junk in the cylinder, the "sending unit" on the port cylinder came out in pieces. The replacement (#37 on diagrams, 0172574) can't seem to be found anywhere. Looking at a photo of the parts and pieces included, it seems that the plastic piece I have (had) on my port cylinder was changed and made out of metal.

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about getting this fixed, or where I might find parts to get it working again? Or have any suggestions on making the system work? I think the rest of the system is operable.