Boat and motor match

I fish mainly open water (salt) and some fresh and have been a boater for a very long time. I am looking at an Evinrude 150 Tracker XP (probably about a 1989) and considering installing it on my 17' Proline CC. I understand ratings, HP, insurance, etc. so we don't need to go there. My concern is weight - which I don't think is a problem. One sees these motors often on bass boats. My Proline (it's a 1989) is rated for up to something like 130HP so we are only talking about 20HP diff. On the other side I hear the 150 XP is actually about 10% higher in HP that "rated" so with that...somewhere around 165HP. I am not really worried about extra HP...just keep it off WOT. Still I wanted to get an array of opinions from the experts here that know a lot more than I do. Would you do this?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat and motor match

No. It's over rated HP wise for the boat.

Thanks boobie. While waiting for responses I found some time to googlize an answer. Perhaps this is helpful? Using the calculator I found (Title 33-Code of Federal Regulations-Subpart 183.53) (there may be another) I came up with

Remote Steering (steering wheel) and at least 20" transom height

Maximum HP = (Length x transom width x 2) - 90

Example: 17' 6" long x 7' 6" feet wide x 2 = XXX (17.5 x 7.5 x 2) - 90 = 177 HP (Round up in multiples of 5. This boat's max is 175 hp).

So, I suppose, 150HP would fall into the okay category.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

I would not worry so much about the Horsepower, I would worry more about the weight. For instance. On my 17'Mckee Craft, I have a 115 HP maximum hp rating. Most people have been running the 3cyl (70hp) on this boat, and I could not figure out why. I recently put on a 2003 V-4 90 hp Johnson on the back. and I quickly figured out why people stuck with the 3 cyl 70. WEIGHT! The V-4 Johnson was MUCH HEAVIER, and the little 3 Cyl 70 will run with my 90 and use much less gas.

I believe the 150 hp motor you are looking at is a V-6, so it will be much heavier than any engine in the 130hp range...and believe me, the older V-6 is pretty thirsty. ...just my two cents.

You are correct TD. The 150 is a V6 and heavier but less than 50lbs compared to a 115 so probably not an issue. Still, the fuel is a question...150 is a hog comparatively.

Thanks!

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's your risk. I have pushed the envelope on Hp with a couple of boats. Weight, safety, and transom strength all come into play. Personally, I wouldn't try a 150 on '17. Weight may be okay, but safety and transom strength would be negated.

Thanks for the opinions. I know I don't need a 150 and really don't care one way or the other--I'm not into high speed and power. The Johnson I was looking at was inexpensive at $895. I am considering changing out to a Yamaha (90hp) but that will run me about $11,000 installed. Ouch.

82rude

Rear Admiral

get a 135 h.o. etec and never look back.

Last edited:

iwombat

Captain

It's not just an insurance issue, it's also a liability issue. If something happens out there on the water, it's pretty much instantly your fault because you're running a motor beyond the specifications of your boat.

Personally, I wouldn't even think about it.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

The nice thing about so many people switching to the newer 4 Strokes is the availability of some pretty nice 2 stroke motors on the market. The Evinrude Tracker motor was used on the Bass Pro Shop's line of boats...probably off a Nitro bass boat or something like that. Moreover, being that it was used on a bass boat, it probably was a fresh water motor, which we both know is so important down here in salt-water country.

On the other hand, if it was on a bass boat, then most likely it was run like it was on a bass boat, and that means it spent a lot of time at WOT. Do yourself a favor. get a good compression test on the motor, and if it passes the test, then $895 is a bargain for the V-6 Evinrude. You can buy a lot of gas with the 10K you will save on a new motor.

It's not just an insurance issue, it's also a liability issue. If something happens out there on the water, it's pretty much instantly your fault because you're running a motor beyond the specifications of your boat.

Personally, I wouldn't even think about it.

It's a moot point now but the Coast Guard says a 150HP falls into the acceptable category.

17' 6" long x 7' 6" feet wide x 2 = XXX (17.5 x 7.5 x 2) - 90 = 177 HP (Round up in multiples of 5. This boat's max is 175 hp).

USCG rules and calculations, not mine. So if that's published, the boat owner can't be liable. Just sayin.

The nice thing about so many people switching to the newer 4 Strokes is the availability of some pretty nice 2 stroke motors on the market. The Evinrude Tracker motor was used on the Bass Pro Shop's line of boats...probably off a Nitro bass boat or something like that. Moreover, being that it was used on a bass boat, it probably was a fresh water motor, which we both know is so important down here in salt-water country.

On the other hand, if it was on a bass boat, then most likely it was run like it was on a bass boat, and that means it spent a lot of time at WOT. Do yourself a favor. get a good compression test on the motor, and if it passes the test, then $895 is a bargain for the V-6 Evinrude. You can buy a lot of gas with the 10K you will save on a new motor.

I hear ya TD. Not much idle time on a bass boat and certainly no cruising around. For fun I had quotes made for a 4 stroke Yamaha 90 and an Evinrude 90 - new everything; harness, binnacle, gauges, etc. and both came in around $11,000. Good news is a warranty and pro installation. Bad news is $11,000. Other good news, the wife actually likes the idea of a new motor. She says that way "we won't break down in the middle of nowhere."

I kept the chuckle to myself. :facepalm: