Raising the drive out of the water

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, silly question time. I have a 1999 Bayliner 2052LS Capri with a Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive. The commander unit has a trailer switch on it. I want to raise the drive out of the sea whilst I'm moored at the jetty. Trim brings it up a bit then stops. Do I then have to press the trailer switch to raise it right up? I would like to put a cover over the drive/prop when not on use. Thanks. Mike.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Raising the drive out of the water

Yes, dual action. The regular trim switch will bring it up to its highest safe operating point, then stops. The trailer switch overrides the limiting factor of the trim switch and brings the outdrive all the way up.

I doubt much of it will show above the surface of the water though.

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the answer. If I can hook the prop cover over it, I may get less sea junk growing on it. My anti fouling on the drive is a bit rubbish. Thanks again. M.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Mike,

One thing to be aware of is that storing the boat with the drive UP is strongly recommended against. Several issues arise. Firstly, the bellows are in a stretched condition and will quickly get a 'set', possibly leading to early failure. Secondly, hard marine growths in between the folds of the bellows can cause damage to the bellows when the drive is later lowered, again leading to early failure.

If you need to put a cover on the propeller, just make sure you lower the drive back down again when you're done. And don't forget to remove the cover before using the boat the next time... (That could lead to an interesting thread...;))

Chris........

Emeraldsnake

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha, yes indeed! Thanks Chris. Drive up, cover on, drive back down is the plan. It's bright orange.....so I shouldn't forget........:facepalm:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Haha, yes indeed! Thanks Chris. Drive up, cover on, drive back down is the plan. It's bright orange.....so I shouldn't forget........:facepalm:

I am SO going to remember that!!! :D