to the moon

odyaxchad

Cadet
I have an 1978 Century 4000, 21' Cuddy, 351, OMC outdrive, electromatic gearcases, boat is a 1978, outdrive a 1977, why, I do not know, it has the 5 bolts on the exhaust housing cover and the pin to hold the prop, with the cotter pin for holding the plastic cone on. It has recently been jumping out of gear, foward, not reverse. If I hold down on the throttle handle it won't, but the minute I let up on it, out of gear it goes. RPM's went to the moon a couple of times, please help.

Thank you.

Chad Brown

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: to the moon

sounds like the switch in your helm control has come loose in there, or is broken or otherwise faulty.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

sounds like the switch in your helm control has come loose in there, or is broken or otherwise faulty.

That'd be my guess, as well. For sure you want to remedy that situation because it puts your forward spring in jeopardy of breaking.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

That'd be my guess, as well. For sure you want to remedy that situation because it puts your forward spring in jeopardy of breaking.

yes, you need to shut that thing down asap and get it fixed otherwise you will have much larger problems.

you need to verify that you are getting a full 12 volts to the forward shift wire throughout the entire range of your controller, it sounds like you are not.

Also, do you have type C oil in the lower ?

Last edited: