New to the inboard world and this site

Kbrucks

Recruit
Hi guys I'm new to the site and there seems to be a lot of good info on here. I just acquired a 1985 25 ft sportcraft cuddy cabin with a 5.7 liter merc. The motor runs great and seems to be very strong but the out drive while it works appears that it could either use some good cleaning up or Maybe even replacement. My question is how would I be able to determine which out drive I have. And since the out drive is pretty well pitted all over is there any repairing the shell of it?

matt167

Captain
Re: New to the inboard world and this site

Pressure test the outdrive, change the impeller and inspect it really good. If it's just pitted, you can mix up some JB weld and skim it over and sand it smooth but really, it's cosmetic at that point.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: New to the inboard world and this site

Hi guys I'm new to the site and there seems to be a lot of good info on here. I just acquired a 1985 25 ft sportcraft cuddy cabin with a 5.7 liter merc. The motor runs great and seems to be very strong but the out drive while it works appears that it could either use some good cleaning up or Maybe even replacement. My question is how would I be able to determine which out drive I have. And since the out drive is pretty well pitted all over is there any repairing the shell of it?

Hi there, and :welcome: to iBoats.

One of the things often misunderstood about boats and engines is that a boat builder is NOT an engine builder, he's an engine buyer. So we have the situation where specifying the boat and its year leads us no closer to knowing what engine and drive it has.

The best way around that 'problem' is to let us know about the engine. And the best way to do that is to be specific... Engine make (in this case, Mercruiser), model, year, and (this is probably the most important piece of information you can get) engine and drive serial numbers.... And from these serial numbers we can tell you exactly what you have...

Chris........

attachment.php

Drive serial number
attachment.php

Attachments

• Drive serial number location.JPG
    Drive serial number location.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 0
  • engine serial number location.jpg
    engine serial number location.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: