Intermittent Gauges On 97' Starcraft 1809 + Tilit/lift Issue With Johnson 150 V4

Quarterwave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone,

Long time boater but new to the forums and I'm hoping you guys can help me with a couple of issues I have with my 1997 Starcraft 1809....

1) I'm getting power to my radio, horn and depth gauge but my tach, tilt meter (sorry, not sure of the correct name) and speedometer have stopped working.... I'm also getting power to my running lights and front console panel light, but my live wells and bilge pump do not get any power.

I've tracked the wiring and the front panel seems to run into the main dash console gauges, which then run back to the main battery. There is another set of wires that seemed to have connected to an AUX battery at some stage (no longer in boat and not setup by me) but those wires only seem to run to a 12V switch in the front panel, which from what I can tell, runs power to the trailer winch....

Can anyone give me some more ideas on what to look for or how else I could troubleshoot this thing?

2) Just this past weekend the up/down tilt function on my Johnson Ocean Runner 150HP V4 went out. I can hear a faint humming on the "down" mode, but nothing on the up.... I was able to manually just lift it up and lock it for trailering and after getting it home, it seems that one of the two cylinders is extended out, while the other seems to be stuck in it's housing.

I tried to check for hydraulic fluid and the closest thing I could find was a type of steel reservoir that is located right next to one of those cylinders, and when I opened it, some fluid did come out, so I'm guessing that the fluid level is ok (there was no nipple or anything that I could see to fill it).

I've also searched all over the internet (which led me to this forum) to find an answer but have had no luck so far, so I'm really hoping someone can help. I'd like to try and learn something and do the work myself, if that's at all possible...

Thank you all in advance for any help.

barato2

Commander
Re: Intermittent Gauges On 97' Starcraft 1809 + Tilit/lift Issue With Johnson 150 V4

QW--

welcome to the madhouse.

, you might want to post your motor Qs in the OMC forum....you might get more expertise there.

first thing i'd do on your electrics is try to determine whether your problem is in the hot wire or the ground. make up a long jumper wire and try manually connecting each affected item.