Snapped Bearing Carrier at Bolts

djockey21

Cadet
I have snapped 2 Bearing carriers at the bolts. I can't figure out what is causing this. I got one under warranty because I had to replace the whole lower unit. The second one I got off my old lower unit. I have a replacement one coming since it was under warranty but I don't like not know what could have caused it to snap. It looks like to me maybe the bots are not 100% straight at least the bottom one anyway.

Please advise

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Snapped Bearing Carrier at Bolts

Is this a late 1990s mercury lower unit? A little more info and a couple of photos will help tremendously.

djockey21

Cadet

Yes sorry this is 1996 mercury force 120 hp. I had to replace the old lower unit because gears were bad and clutch. I replaced with a sei unit and I also replaced the shift shaft because I went from three jaw to 6 jaw lower unit. I was on the water thus afternoon going about 43 mph and 5k rpm when I hear it break. The motor didn't sound any different but I could hear the lower unit change. I went back to dock at the slowest pace because I didn't want to damage or lose my prop.

djockey21

Cadet

Could the shift shaft if there is any play in it be causing this by chance. Also when I took the bearing off I notice my prop washer between bearing and prop was stuck on the shaft and no spinning . I had to pry it off a little. I also notice the washer around the reverse gear is thicker than the one on the original gear.

This cast aluminum does not seem to be too strong. If the thrust washer and reverse gear washer are off could that cause there to be pressure causing this?