Chaparral 190ssi - Are the newer (last 10 yrs) lower in quality?

mikereno1

Seaman Apprentice
i was looking at 2006 190ssi, which is listed at 20', with a dry weight of only 2900. This is as low as some bayliners, reinell, etc.

i had always heard Chaparral was a high quality boat, but dry weight points otherwise.

Are these Chaps worth the extra premium over a "lesser" brand for a used boat?

southkogs

Staff member
Re: Chaparral 190ssi - Are the newer (last 10 yrs) lower in quality?

... all about the specific boat. A Chap is a fine boat, and I think most would agree superior to a Bayliner (for example). But the question you're asking is about a specific boat. Condition is key in used boats.

Spec on the Chap is 3,221# dry. Spec on a '06 Bayliner 195 Classic is 2,091# dry. Not sure I'd use that as a base of comparison though.

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

Weight doesn't necessarily necessary mean quality. Allison makes a great boat and they are very light. Quality is in the materials used, construction techniques, process control, and attention to detail.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Heavier is just that. I was behind a Chap 270? yesterday and it was one beautiful boat.

mikereno1

Seaman Apprentice

I know weight isn't the end all be all, but reading this forum people tend to point the dry weight as a sign of quality. The low weight just surprised me for the Chap since I have always thought it to be a top notch boat

southkogs

Staff member

...but reading this forum people tend to point the dry weight as a sign of quality...
I've not picked that up anywhere, but I don't read all of the forums either.

Be sure not to confuse that with looking at weight on a used boat checking that the flotation foam isn't waterlogged.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Well I have that same boat. It is 18'3" and then with the optional extended swim platform it is 19' 11". Now with the 18'3" the dry weight is 2900lbs with just the 4 cylinder base power and heavier with the optional 270hp V8. Then with that knowledge go find a single 18 foot bowrider anywhere on the planet that weighs that much and allows for power up to 270hp. You are going to have a tough time finding an 18 foot bowrider that age that is as nicely appointed and built as the Chaparral. Cobalt quit making a boat that size with the 2002 model year so they can not be compared. Also that Chaparral has a 33 gallon gas tank. Again good luck finding an 18 foot bowrider that is not a Tahoe (that is a fishing heritage boat) with such a large gas tank. This boat is substantially nicer than it's competition because among other things they got the small details right that others ignored. Go to the sand bar with it, line it up next to the next 20 boats that are all under 20 feet then you will see what I mean. A bit of knowledge goes a long way when shopping.

The 204ssi is their 20 foot model which is 3400lbs with the base power/lighter V6.

Last edited:

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Our Chap is built like a brick $#!*house, and IMO nearly without fault in the quality department. I've had a few issues with her, but none that Chap had anything to do with.

--Except maybe the location of the control stick, and the trim switch on the end of it, because I've pretty much burnt up the overload switch inside the trim pump motor because I'm always inadvertently leaning on the trim switch!

Other than that, can't say enough about our Chap... :thumb:

jkust

Rear Admiral

Our Chap is built like a brick $#!*house, and IMO nearly without fault in the quality department. I've had a few issues with her, but none that Chap had anything to do with.

--Except maybe the location of the control stick, and the trim switch on the end of it, because I've pretty much burnt up the overload switch inside the trim pump motor because I'm always inadvertently leaning on the trim switch!

Other than that, can't say enough about our Chap... :thumb:

The early to midlate 2000's was the sweet spot for the Chaps or at least the small ones. They got a new hull design patent and built them like tanks. The funny looks I get when people try to push my little 18 foot boat by hand on the water are priceless. If you don't know Chap, you won't expect a boat to weigh that much given its size. Not only that but they have full length fiberglass wet surfaces which you will notice on many others is not done. In otherwords the 190ssi will have a longer wetted surface than boats with a longer LOA but where they built them cheaply with a short wetted surface. For those two reasons being weight and wetted surface, they take chop and generally ride well. There's other reasons a boat will slice through chop good as well however. The downside of Chaps however is that because they are overbuilt, they are going to be slower than your run of the mill bowrider with the same power such as the 190hp V6. They are also heavy to move around in the garage by hand.

oldjeep

Admiral

... all about the specific boat. A Chap is a fine boat, and I think most would agree superior to a Bayliner (for example). But the question you're asking is about a specific boat. Condition is key in used boats.

Spec on the Chap is 3,221# dry. Spec on a '06 Bayliner 195 Classic is 2,091# dry. Not sure I'd use that as a base of comparison though.

Probably better off using a standard Bayliner 195 as a comparison. The 195 classic is the 80's all wood version (which I own)

jkust

Rear Admiral

Probably better off using a standard Bayliner 195 as a comparison. The 195 classic is the 80's all wood version (which I own)

The 185 is more appropriate if you want apples to apples length correct? How does Bayliner deal with swim platforms...in the loa or out?