johnson super seahorse 40 no spark

confused boater

Recruit
hi all, i just got a 16' duracraft with the 40hp seahorse , electric start if it matters. Guy i bought it from used it occasionally and the motor looks to be in good shape from what i can tell, but when i turn the key to start it the starter only makes one rotation then stops. there's no arc in the spark plug wires, and being a first time boat owner ,and more than likely marine mechanic, i have no idea where to even start. any direction would be greatly appreciated

kbait

Commander
Re: johnson super seahorse 40 no spark

Welcome aboard. First off, what is the model number of your outboard? Do you have a good battery w/good charge?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sure does sound like classic dead battery, no load tested, dirty connections, faulty/damaged wiring, etc...

boobie

Supreme Mariner

As said above, what's the model # ??

confused boater

Recruit

model # is rdsl 22. the battery wouldn't take a charge so yeah its done. However, when the battery wouldn't charge i touched the positive to the starter to see if maybe i just had a bad solenoid, but got the same result. one rotation from the starter, then nothing (still no spark in the wires), im going to pick up a new battery today as im going to need it anyway. but a question before i do. is this outbored worth putting the money into?

kbait

Commander

Your motor is a 1960. You need to get the motor spinning to see if it has spark. I pull the plugs, hook the plug leads to my tester, and spin over to test (you can wrap a rope around the flywheel and get a good pull w/o plugs installed. If you get a consistent 1/4" blue bolt from each plug lead, your likely good to go spark-wise. Carb, impeller, gearcase seals, clutch dog etc could be bad, but one step at a time. Those are nice strong motors, and parts are readily available, so it is worth fixing if you have a use for it.

Good luck!