1990 Bayliner gas gauge or tank unit defective?

jthur50

Recruit
The gas gauge only reads 1/4 full even when the tank is full. Which one would likely be defective? Is the tank unit serviceable?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: 1990 Bayliner gas gauge or tank unit defective?

:welcome: to iboats

It could be either, but first find out if your gauge will read full scale. Remove the "send or sendor or S" wire off the gauge. Turn key to run and ground that terminal out with a jumper briefly. If it pegs it's probably your sendor. To check your sendor I would need to find out what is the model or manufacture is.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The manual has the test for each,I read through it and it is fairly simple.Gotta do mine in the spring,right now Id rather go boating while I can.The sending unit at least on mine is very accessible and easy to pull out after you test the gage.If I were to guess I would say your sending unit was stuck.

tpenfield

Staff member

The gas gauge only reads 1/4 full even when the tank is full. Which one would likely be defective? Is the tank unit serviceable?

Welcome to iBoats . . . I see that you are an optimist, by stating 1/4 full instead of 1/4 empty :D

just be careful playing with electrical wires around the fuel tank.

Does the gauge move at all as the level in the tank increases/decreases? As stated, you will need to isolate the problem to either the gauge or the sender, no way to tell merely by the symptoms themselves.