Need to replace bunks and have a few questions.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a painted steel trailer. I need to replace the bunks which are 2x6x8. Should I use PT lumber or not? Should I use galvanized hardware or stainless to attach bunks? It will be carriage bolts. I will glue and staple or use galvanized roofing nails for the carpet. If I staple should I use monel or stainless? Don't want to get corrosion on this stuff and redo it in a year or so.
Thanks,

Roadrager50

Seaman
Re: Need to replace bunks and have a few questions.

Use regular lumber such as poplar or douglas fir. I used some oak I had laying around. I also used stainless steel bolts and staples. BTW use a good grade of outdoor carpet. I countersunk the carriage bolts so they would not protrude above the bunks and wear through the carpet.

May your keel find blue water

haulnazz15

Captain

No need for roofing nails. Just use SS or Monel staples (either will be fine) and decent grade outdoor carpet from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. I used PT wood when I did mine a few weeks ago. I also applied carpet glue before I stapled it, but the glue is necessary or required, I just had it on-hand. I also counter-sunk the bolt heads as well. I used SS hardware, but galvanized will be fine. You won't need to redo anything in a year regardless of how you re-do it. Now after 8-10 years, you'll probably see a difference between low-grade vs high-grade carpet, and SS staples vs regular steel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

use pt pine and galvanized hardware... I used carpet glue and galvanized staples unless you are in salt water the carpet will likely wear out before the staples rust away

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No need for roofing nails. Just use SS or Monel staples (either will be fine) and decent grade outdoor carpet from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. I used PT wood when I did mine a few weeks ago. I also applied carpet glue before I stapled it, but the glue is necessary or required, I just had it on-hand. I also counter-sunk the bolt heads as well. I used SS hardware, but galvanized will be fine. You won't need to redo anything in a year regardless of how you re-do it. Now after 8-10 years, you'll probably see a difference between low-grade vs high-grade carpet, and SS staples vs regular steel.

I second this...