Bad Coil?

HeadnSouth

Seaman
98 Merc 5.7 250 HP 320 hours has ran great all summer. Recently its been lacking power when its cold. I'm in Georgia so I'm not sure if cold applys. :) I replaced the Cap/rotor and it got a bit better.

Straight off the trailer it cranks right up and I can throttle it up but it just bogs down like it has no gas or little spark.
After 20-30 minutes of run/idle time the boat will then react better but not 100% all the time when throttled up.

I've checked the choke and it's opening.
Plugs and wires are fairly new 2-3 years.

A couple of months back I replaced the starter and the electric fuel pump gets its power from there. Maybe there's an issue there?
What do you guy think?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Bad Coil?

Sounds like you need to check or replace fuel filter then if that's all good clean the carb. It first starts out kind of ok for 20/30 minutes and the choke is partialy closed. After it opens then it gets worste [less gas], pull the carb and clean or replace it.

HeadnSouth

Seaman

its funny at the beginning of the season I filled the fuel filter with marvel mystery oil cranked it over and let it sit for a day or so. boat ran great and started better than ever. Maybe some gunk got dislodged. I'll try that again before digging into the carb.
thx

alldodge

Staff member

Maybe instead of that, pump your card mostler dry then try filling the bowl up with carb cleaner. Let it sit for about a half hour then pump the stuff through it a bit, then fire it up and get the rest out. Carb cleaner is more costic and can eat up some stuff so don't leave it there for a long time. Marvel may work but this is your call.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

HeadnSouth

Seaman

I'm going with the MMO first, It's a whole lot easier with my limited time. If that doesn't work I have some home brew seafoam I'll try.
I'll post back with my results.
Thx again.