Costa Concordia Salvage - Live feed

bassman284

Commander
Re: Costa Concordia Salvage - Live feed

Thanks, Summer. I was looking for some information. It figured to be slow but you can definitely see the progress.

canoemang

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heard about this on MPR/NPR this morning, thanx for the link!!

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey come on guys, we are talking Italians here. They may talk fast, but they work sloooow. It will soon be time for their 2 hour lunch.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I want to see it reach the tipping point when she flips seaward. Should be a big splash.

bassman284

Commander

I've read a couple of articles detailing the planned procedure. As planned, it will take at least 20 hours to get it upright and thye want to get it upright with as little drama as possible. A big splash would indicate catastrophic failure off the procedure.

Summer Fun

Banned

Heres what they're hoping that happens.

nax5.jpg

southkogs

Staff member

The amount of money spent in recovery is indicative of the value of the boat as it sits. There's some amazing dollar figures on someone's desk.

Cool link, thanks SF.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Looks like so far so good at the moment.....

Summer Fun

Banned

Not sound cruel or insensitive, They said they're hoping to find the last 2 bodies.

Wouldn't the sea critters have eaten them by now ???.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member

Wow ... I wonder how high she sat before she settled down. That leaves a lotta' boat under the water.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The time lapse is cool. It did move faster as it came more upright. I hope the last bodies are found, if for nothing but closure for the families.

southkogs

Staff member

Makes sense sitting there so long, but look at the damage done on the superstructure:
Concordia.jpg

Betcha' you can get a starboard side stateroom pretty cheap right now. Yikes.

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

The amount of money spent in recovery is indicative of the value of the boat as it sits. There's some amazing dollar figures on someone's desk.

Cool link, thanks SF.

The cost of the vessel is salvage vale as it is being scrapped. The insurance companies will already have settled the ship insured value. But you cannot just leave a huge hulk like that there as there are environmental issues, etc. It will cost, what it costs to salvage the ship, move it and clean up the area. The salvage companies will make a handsome profit, but someone, somewhere is picking up a big tab for the cost of all this.
The engineering aspects of this are fascinating. Nothing has ever been attempted like this so close to shore.
One of the first pics after the ship was tilted slightly was of a red suitcase. Guess today, the owner got a call saying 'hey, good news, we found your luggage and we'll deliver it next week. Guess the clothes inside will need a wash. LOL

Jeep Man

Commander

Wow ... I wonder how high she sat before she settled down. That leaves a lotta' boat under the water.

There is approximately 100' of ship under water.They welded large tanks on the side to assist in righting the ship and filled them with water as the ship was righted. They also now hold her down to keep her from floating off the platform.. They now will weld tanks to the other side and fill those with water as well. In the spring, the plan is to empty the tanks to provide floatation to assist in moving it to it's last rusting place.

Last edited: