Outdrive Noisy and Shavings on Lower Oil Servicing Plug

andyspoppa

Cadet
Finally got some mods/repairs done to my barge...took it out on the lake...warmed it up...cruised out...throttled it up, came up on plane quick and was running an indicated 40 MPH. Not bad for a four cylinder 165 HP, with a four bladed prop.

All of a sudden some strange noises were heard...throttled down and it began whining! Decided to check the lower drive oil level just in case it was low...pulled it out of the water...pulled the lower oil plug and it was full of shavings...not attractive. So fun was over until I find out what all this means...maybe a new outdrive? Don't trust used ones at this point. What say you folk's out there who have had similar issues?

Thanks in advance. :grumpy:

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Re: Outdrive Noisy and Shavings on Lower Oil Servicing Plug

What year, serial number drive do you have? Yup....sounds like you are munching your upper gears. Get into the iboats parts section here and set yourself up with a nice SEI replacement for a great price and great warranty. Very little chance of getting the one you've got into respectable condition (at least not for the long haul).
Just for S&Gs, pull the top cap off of the drive and let us know what the upper bearings look like. bet they are near-toast (based on the "whining" symptom).
I'd also be pulling the drive and looking at the drive bellows. You may have a damaged yoke seal that let your drive oil into the bellows, and then left your upper without enough oil. Just a guess at this point.
Best of luck!

alldodge

Staff member

Agree with kt, either repair or replace the drive. Most the time it is cheaper to get a new SEI

If you can find a good outdrive mechanic you could ask what they would charge to rebuild

Last edited:

andyspoppa

Cadet

Have ordered a new outdrive...upper and lower, installation kit. Hope to be able to hit the water soon...it will be installed by a certified boat shop, and I will have a three year warranty on the outdrive! I may get a little dirty climbing into the old barge...but it's riding time!