Need tips on removing lower unit? 1995 OceanRunner 225. Impeller change.

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the manual and have researched here. I understand the hard part is re-connecting the shift rod. But I need to know if I can handle the weight of the lower unit on this motor while I slide the unit and rod out. What is the weight on it?

As I picture it, the motor has to be tilted up toward horizontal so the rod will come out. That means I've got this thing in my arms. If it's more than 80lbs I might lose it. Should I have a low table ready to take the weight?

And is the role of the second person to stab the rod on re-assembly while I'm cradling the lower unit?

Thanks in advance.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need tips on removing lower unit? 1995 OceanRunner 225. Impeller change.

If you don't think you can handle it find a buddy to help you. I've had to do it.

I can handle that sized lower unit by myself, but there's some occasional colorful language involved when trying to reinstall it. I've never weighed it, my guess is around 60 pounds or so.

And doesn't the lower cowl come off easily on your engine? If it does that will make getting the shift rod attached much easier.

btravlin2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can handle that sized lower unit by myself, but there's some occasional colorful language involved when trying to reinstall it. I've never weighed it, my guess is around 60 pounds or so.

And doesn't the lower cowl come off easily on your engine? If it does that will make getting the shift rod attached much easier.

My original manual doesn't explain how to remove the lower cowl. The bolts are simple enough, but I see 4....... what looks like vibration mounts that the PH appears to sit on. That looks way over my ability. Am I mistaken?

Look at shop2.evinrude.com, there will be a parts diagram and that might help you. If your lower cowl is as I think it is, once you get the bolts out the two halves simply slide apart (you might have to undo the shift and throttle cables, no big deal).