Fuel switch

I am restoring a 1976 MFG Caprice with a 76 E-rude 115. I have only used the auxiliary fuel tank so far. PO said main tank made it run funny. I have a fuel switch on my dash. What does the switch do? Or supposed to do?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel switch

If it's like most, it switches the input of the two senders to the fuel gauge.

If it's like most, it switches the input of the two senders to the fuel gauge.

Great, so being new to outboards, it needs to be on for the motor to get gas from the main tank? I know I do not use it for the auxiliary tank.

I plan on replacing the stringers and floor at which time I will check the tank and filter so I can once again use the main tank.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Great, so being new to outboards, it needs to be on for the motor to get gas from the main tank?
No..... the switch is used to select which fuel tank the fuel gauge is reading from. Has nothing to do with which tank you use.

THANKS DINGBAT! I thought you were crazy (no offense) when I first read your last post, I went and had a look and sure enough the switch is connected to the fuel gauge!

Now all I have to worry about is how dirty the main gas tank and fuel filter is!

Thanks again. This forum has already helped me on my quest to bring this craigslist back yard find back to life.

Rick Stephens

Admiral

I'd be tempted to install TWO filters, one for each tank. If you have a contamination problem in one then switching over to the other tank gets you separate system up to the valve.

Rick