1983 85HP: My compression results- what are the plugs telling me?

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK did my compression test. I'm assuming that the top most plug is the called cylinder #1. Top to bottom: 145, 140,145. The plugs were black and dry. The left one is the plug from the top. What is the picture telling me about the life each plug has been leading?

Attachments

• SANY0155.jpg
    SANY0155.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 0

bkhealey

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1983 85HP: My compression results- what are the plugs telling me?

Well your compression is good, but your plugs are fowled. Most likely your fuel is too rich or you have you have a bad fuel mix. What year and model motor is it? Are you sure you have your Gas to Oil mix right and your gas is good? When is the last time you had your carbs adjusted and cleaned? Check those first. How old are those plugs?

Brian

I am no Engine Expert by any means just going from what I have done and seen!

Last edited:

Jiggz

Captain

The plugs are fouled which means you need to make sure the carbs are adjusted properly (1 turn out from slightly seated for the idel mixture screw) and using proper fuel-oil mix. 50:1 ratio. And then you need to de-carbonize the engine using seafoam or straight seafoam sprayed into the carbs while revving her up. As for the plug, you can just leave them as they are and will be cleaned by the de-carboning process or you can brush them clean them first.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Was working on a new customers boat.85/85
I always try to check the carbs if it's possible.
The one turn out from lightly seated wasn't getting it right.
It would cough and kick like the screws were in to far.
It needed to be out about 1 2/3 turns out.
So much for the factory settings??
Mine run good at 1 turn out? 88/85
You need to fine tune your carbs.

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, already changed the plugs after the compression test. Will clean the old plugs and have them for spares. The plugs were from 2004 according to the receipts from the previous owner. The PO gave me a box of new plugs since he said his boat mechanic only used them for his boat and had to order a one box minimum.

Every time I?ve put gas in the tank, I?ve always done the 50:1 mix, but what about what?s already been in there? There have been periods during the last 5 years that where to boat has been just sitting in a garage (the prior two years with me). How do I take that into account?

Decarbonization afterward: do I do Power Tune or Sea Foam via the gas tank or just spray into carbs while revving in the driveway or both?

Thanx.

Attachments

• SANY0327.jpg
    SANY0327.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0

slag

Chief Petty Officer

Really hard to say without knowing more on how you are getting the readings. I mean, are you doing high speed runs, then stopping the engine or are these plugs in the condition they are in after idling in through a long no wake zone? It makes a difference on the plug readings and you should be doing high speed runs and then a plug chop or immediate shutdown of the motor and then check the plugs.

Jiggz

Captain

OK, already changed the plugs after the compression test. Will clean the old plugs and have them for spares. The plugs were from 2004 according to the receipts from the previous owner. The PO gave me a box of new plugs since he said his boat mechanic only used them for his boat and had to order a one box minimum.

Every time I’ve put gas in the tank, I’ve always done the 50:1 mix, but what about what’s already been in there? There have been periods during the last 5 years that where to boat has been just sitting in a garage (the prior two years with me). How do I take that into account?

Decarbonization afterward: do I do Power Tune or Sea Foam via the gas tank or just spray into carbs while revving in the driveway or both?

Thanx.

As per indication of carbon buildup on your plugs, I would do the seafoam spray directly into the carbs. This is what I do for de-carboning:
1. With plugs remove, spray seafoam directly into each cylinder to soak the carbon buildup; re-install plugs
2. Let is soak for hours I do it overnight by spraying in the late afternoon
3. Next day, rig the water and muffs and get oil pan to cover the pavement for carbon release
4. Fire her up and warm up for about 2~3 minutes. In your case you will need to remove the carb cover to spray directly into it
5. Using the throttle linkage bar or timing tower, rev her up (racing) but no more than 3500 rpm a few seconds at a time while directly spraying sea foam or power tune into the carbs.
6. The engine can bog down if you spray too much so start low spray and increase as required
7. Watch the exhaust and you should see carbon dust exhausting.
8. Continue doing this until no more dust coming out or dust exhaust is very light
9. Stop engine cool her down and inspect plugs. They should look very clean almost like steam cleaned.

If you are hesitant to do the above, you can just do the tank treatment but it will take more than a tankful of gas to clean up all the carbon buildup depending on how often you run at WOT speed. For future operations, avoid running the engine at idle for a long time and only when necessary. Prolong idling is the biggest cause of carbon build up.

In the future, I recommend using NGK's BUHX or BUHW for plugs. They seem to have better performance for their versatile voltage requirement, which is lower than Champion ULV's.

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Really hard to say without knowing more on how you are getting the readings. I mean, are you doing high speed runs, then stopping the engine or are these plugs in the condition they are in after idling in through a long no wake zone? It makes a difference on the plug readings and you should be doing high speed runs and then a plug chop or immediate shutdown of the motor and then check the plugs.
Hmmm, don't really want to be reaching back there on my outboard, taking my motor cover off, taking my tools out and taking plugs out while on the water... I'm just a pleasure boater who does some fishing, tubing with the kids and cruising with some wine, food, friends, and music... no high speed runs here. Taking the plugs out at the dock or driveway will have to do. Thanks.

Benz Mondi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As per indication of carbon buildup on your plugs, I would do the seafoam spray directly into the carbs. This is what I do for de-carboning:
1. With plugs remove, spray seafoam directly into each cylinder to soak the carbon buildup; re-install plugs
2. Let is soak for hours I do it overnight by spraying in the late afternoon
3. Next day, rig the water and muffs and get oil pan to cover the pavement for carbon release
4. Fire her up and warm up for about 2~3 minutes. In your case you will need to remove the carb cover to spray directly into it
5. Using the throttle linkage bar or timing tower, rev her up (racing) but no more than 3500 rpm a few seconds at a time while directly spraying sea foam or power tune into the carbs.
6. The engine can bog down if you spray too much so start low spray and increase as required
7. Watch the exhaust and you should see carbon dust exhausting.
8. Continue doing this until no more dust coming out or dust exhaust is very light
9. Stop engine cool her down and inspect plugs. They should look very clean almost like steam cleaned.

If you are hesitant to do the above, you can just do the tank treatment but it will take more than a tankful of gas to clean up all the carbon buildup depending on how often you run at WOT speed. For future operations, avoid running the engine at idle for a long time and only when necessary. Prolong idling is the biggest cause of carbon build up.

In the future, I recommend using NGK's BUHX or BUHW for plugs. They seem to have better performance for their versatile voltage requirement, which is lower than Champion ULV's.
Haven?t gone the Seafoam route yet, thought I have with all my cars. I hesitate to keep my motor running very long at greater than idle speed because of the noise and my neighborhood. Once I get the perfect dunk tank (another thread) where the snout is deep under water, then I think the noise will be low enough to do the seafoam. I did replace with NGK?s.

After fixing my thermostat issue, my motor now reaches operating temps in a normal amount of time and I?ve been able to start tuning the carbs after cleaning them. Whereas before all three were oil-fouled, now # 2 has oil fouling on the spark plug. 1 and 3 are dry. Do I need to back out the air screw a little more or what can I do to get #2 dry?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

First,Power Tune or OMC's Engine Tuner is the product to use.
You can run the motor in the drive and spray the PT in as it runs.
You need to let it get hot.
PT works better on hot motor.
Then after spraying,shut it down.
Remove the plugs, spray in all 3 holes.
Turn over by hand and then tilt the motor all the way.
Spray a bunch of PT in each cylinder and let it set for 2 days.
Going out every so often and turn it over by hand.Spraying more in each cylinder.
Then clean the plugs(no need to use new)and start.
The middle cylinder runs the fuel pump and it might have been getting more fuel?
Or the carbs being out of adjustment.
After the start up make sure the carbs are set right.
Oh yea after the PT treatment do another comp test.
I tested Seafoam against PT and ET.
The powertune melted the carbon on a piston.
The SF did nothing.
There might be 2 kinds of SF, not sure???

foodfisher

Captain

Yes Seafoam, the original fuel additive and Deep Creep, the aerosol.