Help with bilge selection and wiring

sarge035

Recruit
I just recently bought a 23' Ebbitide open bow, and it currently as a manual only bilge pump. I plan on keeping the boat in the water next year, so need to change over to some sort of automatic pump that will turn on if there is water when I am away. I was looking at the wiring in the engine compartment, and there are three wires in the boats bilge wiring bundle. One that is labeled manual bilge, one that is labeled auto bilge (which I am guessing bypasses the master on/off switch to the battery), and then of course the ground for the bilge. The auto is currently unconnected as the pump is only manual and run by the dash on/off switch.

Can you point me to what my best options for a reliable pump are? I know there are some automatic pumps that have the 3 wires on them that would be plug and play for my wiring set up. But I have read there are issues with the automatic pumps killing the battery with the constant on/off test cycles. Is it possible to run my wiring configuration into a float switch set up so that the float/pump are connected both to the manual and to the auto bilge wires? I am open to any type of pump, but want to get something that will be dependable and long lasting.

Any suggestions, guidance, and wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Help with bilge selection and wiring

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

If the current pump works, there is no need to replace it. Just add a float switch wired like this:
Battery + terminal => fuse => float switch => "auto bilge" wire
With this wiring scheme, the pump will always run when the switch engages, regardless of the position of the manual switch. You could also replace your current switch with a SPDT switch and hook the "manual bilge" wire to one side and from the "auto bilge" wire to the other; the center terminal on the switch goes to the current fused power supply.

UncleWillie

Captain

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

If the current pump works, there is no need to replace it. Just add a float switch wired like this:
Battery + terminal => fuse => float switch => "auto bilge" wire
With this wiring scheme, the pump will always run when the switch engages, regardless of the position of the manual switch. You could also replace your current switch with a SPDT switch and hook the "manual bilge" wire to one side and from the "auto bilge" wire to the other; the center terminal on the switch goes to the current fused power supply.

What he Said! :joyous:

This also works!
FloatSwitch1.jpg

There are cases where the float and pump can cause the pump to cycle continuously until the battery is flat. This is normally due to the float being mounted lower than suggested. The easiest way to avoid this situation is to install a all in one bilge pump with a built in float or to read the instruction that come with the float switch (most people do not read the instructions until they find a problem me included)