omc king cobra over heat after water impeller install

gwaggdonzi

Recruit
hi new to the forum, i have a 93 donzi 22 classic had a 454, i replaced with a built 502, king cobra drive, very low hours on the boat and drive 345, engine has 40, i decided to check the water impeller was running great just me being curious, well the impeller was stiff and had some rough edges so i replaced it anyway reused old oring and used silicone gasket maker to hold oring in place now engine runs cool on the muffs but will slowly over heat in the lake, any ideas as to what this could be i have headers so no manifold issues, thanks in advance.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: omc king cobra over heat after water impeller install

hi new to the forum, i have a 93 donzi 22 classic had a 454, i replaced with a built 502, king cobra drive, very low hours on the boat and drive 345, engine has 40, i decided to check the water impeller was running great just me being curious, well the impeller was stiff and had some rough edges so i replaced it anyway reused old oring and used silicone gasket maker to hold oring in place now engine runs cool on the muffs but will slowly over heat in the lake, any ideas as to what this could be i have headers so no manifold issues, thanks in advance.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Overheating issues are most frequently the impeller.

Since you've replaced it and you still have over-heat problems, you've started a process that you'll need to finish. (those are about $100 a "pop" aren't they? I just found a source of them on ebay that has "more than 10 of them" )

That will include verifying that you have good flow from the raw water supply through the PS and Oil coolers and on through to the T-stat housing.

I had a similar problem with a clogged (with previous impeller failure fragments/debris) that was more or less OK at low power settings but the flow was inadequate at higher power.....

My oil cooler was COMPLETELY PLUGGED with impeller fragments that would NOT dislodge by running water backwards though it! It did however, pass *some* water......just not enough!!

It's all about FLOW. if you cannot get enough flow of cooling water the engine will heat up. Other problems can be clogged riser/manifolds (which prevent the water from exiting =low flow)

Since it's ok on "muffs", (pressurized water supply) you might also have a "leak" that's allowing air into the system. remove the hose from the transom mount that goes to the PS/oil coolers then on to the t-stat housing. install a length of clear hose so you can see if there's any bubbles that will indicate a leak someplace in the raw water pump suction side.

You can also check to see if you have good flow by briefly running the engine with the hose disconnected and dumping water overboard. It should squirt out pretty good even at idle.

Since you have a "new" engine, you could rule out a clogged water jacket (unless you ran it into a sand bar recently)

You probably already know you need to "baby" that drive. Many show stopper parts for them no longer exist.

Cheers,

Rick

Last edited:

gwaggdonzi

Recruit

hi thanks yes those impellers are 100 bucks on ebay great product btw, i have stainless tublar headers so no riser issues, and this issue just happened after i replaced water pump impeller the old one was missing much rubber at all so i dont think its a clogging issue really thinking its the oring, i pulled the oil cooler inlet hose clean as a whistle no clogging at my whits end would a loose temp. sensor wire cause high readings? the bolt on my temp sensor on my intake manfold was loose holding the sensor wire on tighten it up really hope its not anything else.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

. sensor wire cause high readings? the bolt on my temp sensor on my intake manfold was loose holding the sensor wire on tighten it up really hope its not anything else.

Well, the FIRST thing to always check is if you actually have an over-temp or, an indication error.....

You could try a different gage AND sender or get one of those cheap infrared temp "guns" and point it at your t-stat housing while underway.

I bought one at Harbor Freight for about $35. They work great!

gwaggdonzi

Recruit

i have a infared gun what should the temp on the housing be while underway?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

i have a infared gun what should the temp on the housing be while underway?

I would expect the t-stat housing to be around 170-180 . Is your temp sender in the housing?

gwaggdonzi

Recruit

man i cannot figure this out put new engine waterpump, checked everything i can think of really pissing me off haha. anyone have any ideas.

gwaggdonzi

Recruit

also if i idle it will stay cool in the lake as well its only after running wide open and only happened after water pump change i guess i will take this pos apart again and try and figure out what is going on with the pump.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked the flow (in the lake) with the hose (pump--->T-stat housing) disconnected ?