1986 Mariner instrument gauge wiring

actionray

Recruit
I have a 1986 90 HP Mariner outboard with engine serial number A903730. I am trying to connect my instruments, Tach, Speed, Water Pressure, Gas and Oil Pressure. I have an 8 wire ignition Harness with a push key for choke. The following are the wire colors. Red (pos), Black (neg), Yellow with Red stripe, Yellow with Black stripe, Black with yellow stripe, Purple, Grey, and Tan. I also have two yellow wires coming from the Shift Lever Box. I have the standard one handle shifter forward and reverse and a button in the center to push in to increase the rpm without engaging the gears. I need help in getting a wire diagram from the ignition to the gages and also where to connect the two yellow wires from the shifter box.

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Mariner instrument gauge wiring

Yellow/red is starter solenoid; yellow/black is choke solenoid; black/yellow is ign killer. Grounds to black with ign switch off; purple is ign accessory power. Power your gauges with this; grey is tach sender; tan is overheat. Not sure about yellow wires. Does that control have PTT switch?

Wiring diaghram is avail at maxrules web site.

actionray

Recruit

Yellow/red is starter solenoid; yellow/black is choke solenoid; black/yellow is ign killer. Grounds to black with ign switch off; purple is ign accessory power. Power your gauges with this; grey is tach sender; tan is overheat. Not sure about yellow wires. Does that control have PTT switch?

Wiring diaghram is avail at maxrules web site.

Thanks for info will check the website. No PTT switch. I think the prior owner mixed and match the wires with what ever was available to him. I am not sure what colors the original wires were and there is no wire harness just the yellow wires. I guess I might have to go into the shift control

actionray

Recruit

Thanks for info will check the website. No PTT switch. I think the prior owner mixed and match the wires with what ever was available to him. I am not sure what colors the original wires were and there is no wire harness just the yellow wires. I guess I might have to go into the shift control

I think I the two yellow wires comning from the control switch are yel/red for the neutral start interlock, and black/yel for the ignition safety stop switch. Thanks for your help