Water intake on my 270 outdrive

LHUDSON

Seaman
I have been working on my 270 outdrive.I replaced the water union that connects to the s hose,and have also relaced the seals in the lower unit.Is there any other places along the water intake tube(in the outdrive)that can cause it to suck air when it is on a plane?I overheat when it is on a plane,and it is loosing sucktion somehere.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water intake on my 270 outdrive

Use your garden house to pressurized your water intake system with low pressure,and see if water try to escape.

LHUDSON

Seaman

I found the leak.It is the rubber seal/gasket that is around the top of the water intake tube.The one you can see after taking off the union the s hose connects to.It is not the union gasket but inside.I would just fill it with gasket stuff but it has to be able to turn with the outdrive when steering.The question now is how do I replace that seal.Do I have to take the outdrive off or is there an easier way?I don't know where to start.

Last edited:

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found the leak.It is the rubber seal/gasket that is around the top of the water intake tube.The one you can see after taking off the union the s hose connects to.It is not the union gasket but inside.I would just fill it with gasket stuff but it has to be able to turn with the outdrive when steering.The question now is how do I replace that seal.Do I have to take the outdrive off or is there an easier way?I don't know where to start.
It was predictable ,had same problem before.
There is no easy way to fix it.
270 steering knuckle in the intermediate housing has double function as well,as a water tube.
Try this link:
Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Intermediate Housing AQ Drive Unit 270 - MarinePartsEurope.com

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at exploded view of intermediate housing,to get there you need separate your out-drive in three sections.
Then will be the hard part to disassemble steering knuckle from the housing.
If you have enough skills ,access to tools and press,you can do it.
I will still recommended to purchase SELOC VolvoPenta 1968-1991 Stern Drive Service Manual.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me know how it come out.
I do have o lot of 270 parts in my shop.

LHUDSON

Seaman

Thanks for all the info.I can take the outdrive apart but I think I will have the intermediate housing taken in and let someone with the tools take the steering knuckle out and replace the bushing.Any idea on what that might cost me to have a proffessional do it.

LHUDSON

Seaman

I have access to a press so I will attempt this project.My first problem is gainig access to the pins that hold the outdrive on.I'm having problems getting the end caps off to get to the pins.I was just wondering if the threads are standard,their not reverse are they?

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have access to a press so I will attempt this project.My first problem is gainig access to the pins that hold the outdrive on.I'm having problems getting the end caps off to get to the pins.I was just wondering if the threads are standard,their not reverse are they?
There is no end cups,not sure what you mean ?

LHUDSON

Seaman

On the outside there are screws that have a flathead screwdriver ends.The pins are behind them.

diesel1960

Petty Officer 1st Class

No,that's pins with cross groove cut for locking screw alignment .
You need to remove those screws with Allen wrench,and try to drive pins out.

captmello

Captain

On the outside there are screws that have a flathead screwdriver ends.The pins are behind them.

Those are the pins. They have a slot in them so you can turn them to accept the locking bolt.

You remove the locking bolt, and drive the pins in toward the steerng helmet. turn the helmet either way to avoid hitting it with the pins.

LHUDSON

Seaman

Wow!I finally got the pins out and now can try to get the steering knuckle pressed out.I just wanted to make sure before I start,the steering knuckle presses out from top to bottom correct?Comes out the bottom?