Trailer/Tow vehicle lighting problem

makersmark

Recruit
Any help would be much appreciated!

Here is my problem:
My trailer has a four wire wiring harness, the left side lights on my trailer are working properly, the right right side is not working at all. I have used a a voltage tester and it will not detect any current on any of the wiring for the right side wiring. The ground seems to be good... if it was bad, I would assume I'd have left side issues as well?

On my tow vehicle, a 2005 Silverado, it came standard with a 6 connector plug and I've used a 6 wire to 4 wire adapter without incident for 2 years until recently, The adapter itself has 3 lights on it that will light up when the trailer harness is connected. One light for the right side, one for the light side, and one for the brakes or when the vehicle lights are on. On my adapter only the left side light will light up. i'm beginning to think its not a trailer lighting harness issue, and more of an issue with my trucks connector or wiring harness after I purchased a new adapter and had the same issue. Also, the lights on my truck are working fine.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Trailer/Tow vehicle lighting problem

If the Adapter will not light up, The trailer aft of it isn't going to work either.
This is NOT a Trailer problem.

Trace the GREEN Wire Forward into the Truck.
90% of the time it is a bad connection with a ScotchLock splice at the Vehicle wiring harness.

cobalt1999

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check your fuses in the under hood fuse box, there are seperate fuses for the trailer lights

sublauxation

Lieutenant

+2 on checking fuses first, often there's one for right side and another for the left. They're usually tied to other things you'd never notice aren't working. I spent an hour tracing wires and got nowhere. 5 minutes with the owners manual looking at what each fuse went to solved the problem.

makersmark

Recruit

Thanks Cobalt1999 and sublauxation, The problem most definitely was a blown fuse. I had no idea that there were separate fuses for the left and right side of the trailer wiring harness, but now i know otherwise and the problem has easily been resolved!

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Thanks Cobalt1999 and sublauxation, The problem most definitely was a blown fuse. I had no idea that there were separate fuses for the left and right side of the trailer wiring harness, but now i know otherwise and the problem has easily been resolved!

Glad it was an easy fix! I took lots of plastic panels off and spewed lots of adult words before finding the fuse. In that week's time I never realized 1/3 of my dash lights and some other random dumb stuff didn't work. Who'd have known? On a positive note I also rewired all my trailer grounds in the search for the missing link, so something positive came from it.